Thursday, May 5, 2016

finishing up The Nose Tree

We loved our grammar curriculum this year (book one of IEW's Fix-it grammar series).

Four days a week for 33 weeks we worked on one story, The Nose Tree, one sentence a day, adding complexity as the year progressed.


And then today we finished with the final sentence.  And the girls called for a "Nose Tree" party to celebrate.  I'm all for extra parties, but a Nose Tree-themed party was a bit of a stretch.  Plus I only had about 17 seconds to come up with my idea :)


Paint helps any party, right?  


So we sketched tree trunks on paper, and painted the trunks brown.


And then we painted our noses green, and used them as "stamps" to add leaves to our trees :)


Little bro got to party too, I guess I'll have to come up with something different when he finishes The Nose Tree.


Paint, press, paint, press, paint, giggle, press, repeat.


For something I only dreamed up in my head and didn't bother to try before executing, they turned out pretty well, huh?


These are the homeschool moments I hope they remember.  Not the math test tears or the exasperated "she's using my favorite pencil on purpose" but the silly painting of noses and figuring out prepositional phrases as a family.



[Timing was perfect that the littlest brothers were at preschool while we painted.  Though right now Luke is sitting across the kitchen table from me, painting :)  He finished two pieces of art and is now painting his appendages. sigh.  He just said, "Goodness gracious, my hand is covered with paint.  The back is covered with paint, the front is covered with paint.  See mom?"]

4 comments:

Ann said...

Wonderful ! Thanks for sharing your days with us. I love your idea for celebrating the Nose Tree.

Paul said...

and I happened to like diagramming sentences.
love
Granddaddy

Julie Redfern said...

That looks so fun!

Anonymous said...

The off the very tip of your brain ideas always create fun! I love the project, end art and one sentence a day for an English lesson! Way to go Teacher Mom!! Bn