Sunday, August 26, 2012


We made it.  Matt is home (and healthy).  I am healthy.

This last week was not one of my favorites.  Stress and sickness and transition and (I believe) a huge dose of spiritual warfare all added up to one very intense week. 

As much physical and emotional work as it was to get through each day, the struggled ramped up each evening.  I don't know that we've ever been in such a sleep-less stretch.  No point in war-story-like numbers, but let's just say that I have not slept much at all.  Mom stayed in our apartment the two nights Matt was away to be extra help (and I called on her once each night .... as in once each night there was not only one child awake and needing Mommy but two children awake at the same time, so Grandmama was called in for back up). 

Lydia had horrid night terrors and for three straight days ran a high fever (like 104, 105-ish degree temps).  On the third night I actually called our emergency medical insurance I was so concerned about Lydia.  Could the fevers be causing her crazy screaming? panicked voice? wild and far-fetched stories?  [FYI - yes, fevers can cause night terrors.  So can some medications.  We stopped the Tylenol and switched to Motrin only which seems to have helped.]  Now the fevers are gone and she slept straight through the night last night. 


Matt got home a little after 5pm, we had an early supper (thanks to a bunch of friends who have been providing meals) and he took the big four out for a walk.  I stayed home to put Luke in bed and go to the bathroom solo for the first time in three days :)  Ha!  Just kidding.  But a little space and time to collect my wits is a blessing.

I'm expecting them back any minute and I have priorities to prioritize... four kids needing beds, and a nice long talk with my husband.  Oh, there's one of my little blond heads rounding the corner now.....




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a challenging week - and praises that you all are healthy again. You and Matt are doing an amazing job with your family - be kind and forgiving to yourselves. Children are amazingly resilient and your little ones can feel the love you are pouring out to them. So glad Lydia is feeling better. And John Paul looks wonderfully content 'reading' his magazine. Stay strong in your faith!
robin

Julie Redfern said...

What a week! So glad you guys are feeling better and having moms around to help is just a great relief!

Anonymous said...

So thankful that you are feeling better and that Lydia is feeling better, too. I am sure you are right about the spiritual warfare. Praying for wisdom for you and Matt as you tackle that and praying for peace in your home. love, Whitney
P.S. That photo of John Paul is adorable!

Luciana said...

Oh Laura. I'm so sorry you're having a horrible time lately. I wish I could help. I'm in Suzhou. Not sure where you are. If we're close, let me know and I'll help you as much as I can.
Congrats on your new addition.

Regards,

Luciana