Tuesday, August 7, 2012

he is ours, and we are his. forever.

This morning (Tuesday August 7th) we made it official.



John Paul is now, and forever, our child. 

But I want to record details, things I hope I remember forever but fear I may forget, so I'm going to back up and start writing.

Matt and Luke and I arrived Sunday afternoon, pulled up to our hotel and the first people we laid eyes on were our friends Jeff and Rebecca (and their kiddos) and Jill.  Three different sets of people arriving from three different cities (two trains and one airplane) and we *happened* to walk into the hotel lobby within minutes of one another.

What a sweet gift to be with these friends.  Jill watched Luke Sunday evening while Matt and I went out for dinner, and then into the evening the five of us sat and talked and laughed and prayed.

Monday morning at 9:30 we headed to the civil affairs office.  There were at least eight families adopting at the same time.  Most (maybe all?) adoptions happen on Monday morning, so there we all were.  Waiting for this life changing moment of meeting our children for the first time.

And before I knew it children started arriving.  It's unbelievably simple - after all the stacks of paper that have been chased, and all the months that have been waited, the end of the journey arrives.  A van pulls up.  The side doors open and out climb the passengers - an adult or two, and a child.  They walk up the steps, a few moments of confusion, and then the orphanage workers place the child into the arms of their new parents.

All adoptions from orphanages in the entire province happen in the provincial capital (Zhengzhou), and we knew John Paul's orphanage was "the farthest away", so we weren't surprised when he wasn't in the first groups to arrive.  Our friends Jeff and Rebecca spotted their little guy as soon as he was out of the vehicle and we watched his first moments with his new family.  (Their new Isaac was a foster brother of their David, whom they adopted last November.  To see them come back to get his foster brother, and make him a brother for life, and joined by two other siblings - it was a sweet moment!)


And then a lady in a blue dress, carrying a toddler sized boy.... but I couldn't see his face.  Was that him?

Yes.  He's the one for us.


Now I can fill in details, things I learned after that moment passed.  The lady in blue works at his orphanage.  John Paul left his foster mother a week earlier.  Blue lady (I never learned her name) didn't know him well, and couldn't even really answer my questions.  So after 19 months with his foster mama, John Paul spent one week (can you imagine?!?!?) in an orphanage, and then a three hour drive with two women he barely knew, and was passed into our arms.

After tears and a bit of struggle, he decided Matt was a much better option than the orphanage ladies, and settled down nicely.  So nicely he wasn't initially too eager to switch to my arms.

We now know that he is (understandably) rattled by transition.  Moving from my arms to Matt's.  Leaving our hotel room for breakfast.  Any time we get into or out of a vehicle he cries and clings.  But once we get settled in and it's clear Mommy and Daddy aren't going anywhere he relaxes and loosens his grip :)

I have so much more to write - but must stop here.  It's late.  And I am exhausted.  

To all of you who are praying: I am humbled to know how much you love and care for us and our John Paul.  It will be a long time before I can return all the emails, but know that each one is a gift to our family.  Today meeting his foster mom and seeing his finding place was very blessed.  His foster mother is an amazing lady, clearly loved him to bits, and had prepared him as best as she possibly could for this transition.  More about that later, and the rest of our gotcha day, and ..... I really really must go to bed. 




7 comments:

Catherine said...

Congratulations! SO happy for you!

One little tip that I wish I'd thought of when I was in China - take a moment at the end of each day and turn the video camera on yourself and capture as many details of the day as you can. Oh how I wish I'd done that! I tried desperately to keep the blog as updated as possible but this simple step would have taken off so much of the pressure.

congratulations once again!

The Huffmans said...

so glad to know a few more details of this special day. love you guys! congrats that John Paul is finally and officially yours!!

Matt & Kadie Laughlin said...

Laura!! I am so thrilled for you guys! I can't wait to meet that sweet boy! Will keep prsying as you trasition home. We will be in the Du this weekend and would love to help out any way we can!
Love you guys!

Julie Redfern said...

Yippie! So glad he's yours. Still praying!

Anonymous said...

Praying for moments of rest and peace in the days ahead. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing more of the details of your day. I am SO glad you were able to meet John Paul's foster mother. love, Whitney

Kristie said...

Such a sweet story... from the very beginning to the end. What a blessing for all involved. Will keep praying for his little heart to find peace and security. -Kristie

Jaci said...

Laura, I love you and your sweet family. My heart is filled with praise for our Jesus. Thank you for sharing your life here...it somehow makes me think I know you so well although we have only spent mere hours in each other's company. Continued prayers my friend!