Thursday, August 23, 2012

before it gets any better

As it turns out Matt did not have food poisoning.  He had something contagious.  And gave it to me.

Just a few hours after realizing I was headed for tummy-trouble I started feeling like I was playing the lead role in a film titled "what not to do with your newly adopted toddler".  Y'all, this is when I wish I hadn't read tons of books and articles about bonding and attachment with adopted children.  Because I am not "doing it right". 

Laying on the living room carpet, half asleep, while your newly adopted 19month old runs circles around the house does not promote bonding and attachment.  Neither does plopping them in a booster seat at the kitchen table with a banana and wishing them luck with breakfast before wandering away in a sleep-deprived, sick-tummy daze. 

It's been really hard.  Really really hard.  Thankfully I started feeling better today, and Matt is almost back to normal.  He leaves tomorrow morning on a three day, two night trip.  Lots to pray for around here.

8 comments:

Erika said...

oh man, Laura, this sounds well, awful! praying for your survival and sanity. Jesus is with you all the way. John Paul will be okay, even when you don't "do it right," whatever that really means.

JBC said...

I think it sounds like you're doing a super job! Hope you get some rest in between the sprints to the patio and bathroom. xoxo, Jen

Anonymous said...

Mom moments like your week, make me weak reading. :( I'm so very grateful for you journaling & sharing. You'll look back 15 years from now and still have vivid memories of "oh THAT time!"
God's grace does prevail but it is so much easier on a "not sick on top of it all day"...Love & Prayers. BN

Anonymous said...

Oh no, Laura! I hope that it stops with you and that you all feel better soon! I am praying for you now. love, Whitney

Erin said...

praying dear friend.

Grandma Jan said...

So sorry for your sickness and praying for you all. Love, Jan

Jaci said...

PRAYING!! Love you and I am so sorry.

Kayla Rupp said...

Hi Laura. I've been reading and praying. I am so sorry that this first stretch has been so full of bumps.

But I will say this. I don't read books. They make me feel like I'm not measuring up. I don't know what you read about bonding, but those authors (well-meaning and educated as they may be) are just trying to sell a book.

They don't know John Paul, and they don't know your family.

But God does. He knew all of this would happen. He has all of you in his hand, and he has not overlooked bonding. It is happening, and it will happen, in y'all's own, special way.

I love you,
Kayla