Friday, August 17, 2012

number five at five

August 18th marks Luke's five month birthday.





In the past weeks we are really getting better and bigger glimpses of his personality.  He is fairly intense, wanting to be on the move, very extroverted and eager for eye contact, usually desiring interaction with someone (thank goodness our house is filled with lots of folks to play with!).

About three weeks ago he started aggressively getting up onto all fours and pursuing forward locomotion.  He's making lots of progress, forward progress across the carpet, that is!  He isn't fast, but he is determined - rocks back and forth, lunges himself forwards, pops up onto his toes with bottom high in the air, etc.  The past few days I've even seen him attempt pushing himself into a sitting position, which usually ends with him toppled over - he can't sit on his own yet. 


He enjoys the paci as much as any other toy but will angrily spit it from his mouth if he's sleepy.  Which is fitting, this child of mine is not easy to settle down - he gets tired, his energy level ramps up! 

As a fifth child in a tight line of children you'd think he might be, oh I don't know.... relaxed? laid back? easy going? Not a chance!  This guy is running me ragged, stripping away any confidence I had (after all, I have done this baby thing a few times).  He doesn't sleep well at night.  Or during the day. [Though I will say that the last few days it seems we may have turned a corner?!?!  But I'm hesitant to get too excited about the newest sleep developments.  If anything this little Luke is predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent.  I'll sleep when I sleep.  End of story!]





He shoves everything in his mouth (even mom's nose!)



His smile is a winner, and he has a special grin he flashes just for me when mealtime rolls around.  So far we're sticking with lots of mommy-feedings, though he has taken a bottle a few times recently, twice without hardly a fuss. 



He is a lot.  A lot to add onto an already full plate.  But I cannot imagine life without this sweet fourth born (turned fifth child) of mine.  His feisty personality is going to be a good fit I think - he'll need a bit of feisty to run well with this bunch of kiddos we've got growing here!

6 comments:

The Huffmans said...

OH THOSE EYES!!!! He's strong...praying God would capture his little heart and use his strength and fiesty little personality to shine forth his glory in ways on Luke Kvernen can!!!

The Huffmans said...

and praying for you as you parent him!!!

Grandma Jan said...

Beautiful Laura. Love the smiles on both of you. Jan

Lauren said...

I love him! And miss you!!

Julie Redfern said...

Those pictures are just fantastic!!

Susan said...

He is so animated! And it sounds like my little fella is very similar to your littlest in the consistently inconsistent realm! But he's my only one so I can take naps! I hope he gets more consistent soon so you can get some much needed sleep!!