Saturday, June 30, 2012

this afternoon at 3

I walked through the apartment and took a few pictures.  A 'moment in time' of a typical Saturday.  Nothing too special, nothing too fancy, just us living life.   Here's the tour :)

The kitchen table - results of some pre-lunch fun ... scrapbook paper, scissors and glue.  


On the kitchen counter - lunch dirty dishes waiting to be washed.  Today's meal was scrambled eggs, pretzels and peaches.  By the end of the week it's nothing special, just something to fill empty bellies. 


The extra bedroom - no one sleeps in here right now, it is technically "the boys' room" though I'm not sure how we plan to fit even two beds in here :)  The carpet littered with remains of morning play.  Apparently the pre-lunch clean up missed this room!



The girls' room (where all three bigs currently sleep) - Lydia "babysitting" Luke.  She was teaching him that he had two ears (see her holding up two fingers?)  Both girls can do this kind of "babysitting" and though I wouldn't leave the house with them in charge of their littlest brother, I will say they can be a HUGE help with these little "babysitting" stints.  And yes, Lydia wore this hand-me-down gymnastics leotard today.  Apparently normal clothes are just too boring. 


The living room - a fort.  Confession: I really don't like fort-building.  I really really don't like the post-fort-building clean up.  But my kids want to do something along these lines every single day.  When I took this picture Julianna and Isaac were tucked in the back corner by the floor lamp.  They called that area "the porch" and spent gobs of time back there.  The lamp teetered and tottered but stayed upright all afternoon :) 


The only two rooms I missed were our bedroom (basically untouched since I made the bed early this morning) and the bathroom (I can practically guarantee the toilet needed flushing and the toothpaste was cap-less). 



I love days like this - long uninterrupted play days.  And I also love the quiet of the evening when all the play is over :)

5 comments:

Krisanne said...

So fun to catch up on your lives here! Love the glimpse into all the fun playing at your house! Love and hugs to all of you!

Grandma Jan said...

Love the post too Laura. Thanks so much for being able to see in to a wonderful looking day. I remember how long that one Saturday was for me. Not any ones problem but mine, I just wasn't used to quiet uneventful days where I couldn't say to the kiddos , "should we do this or should we do that?" other than go for another walk. Don't get me wrong, I loved going for walks, but that particular Saturday I just thought life with all the kiddos, I know it sounds crazy, was just too quiet. Love you. jan

akvernen said...

Love the fort! I just took pictures of a fort our three kids built downstairs on Thursday and will have to post them. I totally agree that the post-fort mess is the worst part of a fort. They don't get built very often at our house because of that very thing. So fun though for the kids. So good to hear your updates on John Paul too! Love to you all!

Kristi (signed in under Andy's account)

Julie Redfern said...

I am not a fan of forts either! I try to get them to build them in the basement so I don't have to see them and they have the added benefit of making it really dark and using their flashlights! The big kids in the neighborhood are big helps with the fort building and taking down. I love the glimpse into your day!

Leslie said...

I love this post! We have the same Ikea dishes that stack next to the sink after lunch...especially in the summer when everyone is eating at home. And, as for forts...my kids are required to ask for a "building permit." Our fort never has a front porch, but almost always has a gun turret.