Saturday, December 24, 2011

school Christmas parties

Yesterday's school parties were awesome.  Not flawless, not perfect... but we rejoice that many (parents, teachers, children) heard the Christmas story for the first time.  Who knows how much the little ones retained?  Probably not much!

But I dream that one day heaven will be filled with people whose stories I will gladly hear - and one, even just one, will say "Even though I grew up in a strongly atheistic country I first heard the name of Jesus at my preschool.  There was a little foreign girl in my class.  And her parents came and told us about Christmas.  Mostly I remember that her Mommy brought cookies, but I also remember that her Daddy told us about a baby King born in a barn......."


Lydia did SOOOOOO well in the often awkward role of class-foreigner and also the only child whose parents are ever invited in to talk to the class!  I'm proud of my little chicky! 


Isaac looks just about big enough to be in the class himself, doesn't he?  [Current plan is to have him start in the spring semester, right at his third birthday - but he won't be in big sister's class :)]


Julianna's teachers wanted me to not only bring cookies for the kids to taste, but also teach them how to make them.  Well, imagine 25 kids (and their parents) all making sugar cookie cut outs for the first time, with only me and Matt and Julianna there to coach them along.... it was a tad chaotic but actually loads of fun too. 


While the cookies baked Matt told the Christmas story (with the help of our advent calendar). 


We also taught both classes a few English vocabulary words (star, bell, tree..... the shapes of our cut out cookies) and how to sing "we wish you a Merry Christmas".  Fun times, for us and our girls! 



1 comment:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Wow - what an event (actually 2) to plan for and pull off! Looks like the oookies were a big hit - both the eating and the baking! The girls do handle being different, special, the center of attention really well. And you'll have three in school in the spring? Wherever has the time flown?