Tuesday, December 13, 2011

neighbor gifts

Christmas is a fun time to love on our neighbors. 

After all, most of the holidays around here leave me feeling like a fish out of water - I never really know how to celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival (drop by? bring a gift?) or Tomb Sweeping Day.  So I love when Christmas rolls around - though many people here have heard of Christmas, few know the reason behind the glitz and glitter, and it's the perfect opportunity to tell them!!!  

This year we bought glass-jar candles for all the people on our list and today the kids and I got them ready for giving.  The list is made up of folks who live within walking distance of our home.  I wouldn't describe them as 'great friends' - but they are definitely more than nod-and-wave-hello neighbors.  Most (but not all) have been in our home for a meal or snacks or just to hang out.  The list isn't complete yet, but we hope to give about fifteen candles :)

I wrote up a little "Jesus is the light of the world" gift tag with a brief explanation of why we think Christmas is worthy of celebrating.  And the kids helped me get them all ready.



Sure, I could have made them a whole lot cuter working alone but I chose to sacrifice cute-potential so the kids could participate.  As long as you don't look too closely at the tags you'll think they turned out just fine :) 


When we piled today's bounty on the coffee table Julianna said "oh, they look so great".....

and I have to agree :)

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Your gifts do look so great - good job, Julianna, Lydia, Isaac and Mom! I know you will enjoy delivering them to the neighbors!

Grandma Jan said...

You have such a wonderful gift of including your children. How proud they must feel for their accomplishments. I am reminded of the igloo craft we did here when you were home. Julianna's igloo was struggling but it was all hers, and I said to you , maybe Juliannas igloo could use some help, and you responded , well Jan, are you looking for perfection?. Oh my, I thought, you are right, the children just want to have fun, and they are proud of what they do . Great job Laura, loved your post, and I need to think about remembering my neighbors. Thanks for the help. Jan

Anonymous said...

You are AWESOME Laura! i bet the kiddos enjoyed it so much. that was such a brilliant idea of celebrating Christmas. im sure your neighbors will love the gift. and you just be the light of Christ to the dark world. Laura,i learnt much from you how to live my faith out instead of just telling others about my faith. love you. Susan

Jaci said...

Awesome! :-) I love your sweet family.