Sunday, December 18, 2011

in the kitchen

I cook with my kids all. the. time.

And I love it.  So all this Christmas baking is a real treat - though I do confess that on Saturday morning I tried to sneak in the kitchen and get started on the peanut butter kisses while they were busy playing in their bedroom.... epic fail.  The same kids who hadn't left their room in twenty minutes were in the kitchen within moments of me turning on the mixer.  How do they do that??!!??

For most things I'm happy to plunge in with just my three sets of helping hands and the motto "well, we can clean it up later".  But for the frosted sugar cookie cut outs I knew I would need some serious back up support.  So we waited til Sunday afternoon when Daddy was home. 


Before we got started I gave a little warning: "if you eat too much frosting and cookie dough while we're working your tummy will hurt and you won't be able to eat ONE BIG COOKIE at the end of the afternoon".  I'd like to dream that it helped keep the consumption down, but in reality I don't even dare guess how much they ate in process! 



I didn't count, but I bet we have almost 100 frosted sugar cookie cut outs in our freezer if anyone is hungry :)

And this girl, well after much practice on salt dough ornaments and sprinkle sugar cookies she's getting really good with the rolling pin. 


She's also not afraid to think of some creative uses :)


The big week is here!  We've got lots to celebrate - a six year old birthday and a Savior who came to dwell among us! 

6 comments:

Krisanne said...

Love your little helpers and the pictures! I'm still going to keep trying to get my little Jonah into the baking spirit - someday he'll not hate all dough - right?!?!?! Love and hugs to you all! Oh, and please dig out that 6-year-old birthday present I brought last March for that soon to be 6-year-old! :)

Mom/Grandmama said...

What wonderful fun and those cookies look yummy! You did indeed have a mess to clean up but I'm sure the experience was worth every minute and then some of cleanup time. Love you all bunches!

Grandma Jan said...

Looks like tons of fun to me. I wish I could have been more kid friendly in my kitchen when our kiddos were growing up.
Love the post and all the fun looking pictures. Jan

JBC said...

What lovely cookies and excellent helpers! Soon to be four and five along with them!!!

Kisses to the chefs!

Danielle said...

this makes me excited about having kiddos old enough to bake with...what fun! Laura you're a great example of not being up tight about the mess they inevitably make...I hope I'll be able to have that same great attitude!

Jaci said...

You are amazing. I do not cook with my kids all. the. time. They would love it if I did...I try and so pull it off every other month. But I am a solo act in the kitchen. And I do not love to bake. So let's just say you are inspiring me out of my comfort zone. I do the Christmas Sugar cookies...and Gingerbread house but I prepare myself for the tornado that will hit and I think I let out an audible sigh of relief when all is restored to order at the end. Thankfully Jesus helps me to enjoy the process too. :-)