Thursday, December 8, 2011

christmas memories

Many things I love about Christmas....

Last year we celebrated in America (for the first time since 2003!)... needless to say, we'd developed a few traditions of our own over those many years celebrating in Asia and as I was packing for our time in the States I was careful to include a few special items that we wanted to have with us.

So in amongst the pieces of luggage on July 1 (2010) were several Christmas items: our advent calendar, our stockings (each handmade but that's worthy of a whole separate post!), and our Christmas Memories book.


It's hard to get more special than this.  My Grandmother gave it to Matt and I our first married Christmas - which was also her last Christmas with us, she died November 7th of the following year. 

I'm sure she had no idea that I had been looking for exactly this kind of a thing but hadn't yet found one that I thought was perfect. She did find the perfect one, and gave it to us a few days before Christmas 2003.  We have faithfully recorded every year. 


It's quickly becoming a favorite with the kids too, though I'm pretty particular about letting them page through it.  If you wanna look at the Christmas book, then it's on my terms - in the living room (where I can keep an eye on you) and on your own (eliminates all kinds of sibling instigated craziness). 


I don't consider many of our possessions to be heirlooms, no one wants to grow up in a museum.  But this is one of those "museum worthy" kind of things and I feel justified being a bit strict with it! 

Plus it kind of adds to the lure of the book :) 

[in the picture above the page is turned to Christmas 2007]

3 comments:

Julie Redfern said...

So special! Lydia looks proud to be having her picture taken with the special book.

Paul said...

love the pictures of Lydia, and so glad you all are keeping that book
love GrandDad

Mom/Grandmama said...

Wonderful to have that book to help the kids remember Christmases past!