Monday, September 26, 2011

dance class


Our girls have been begging to take dance for, oh... years.

Problem is, dance class here is not dance class in America.  I wish there was a nicer way to say it (and please do know that there are many things I love about this culture), but simply put, this is not an easy place to be a kid.  Years of the one child policy plus relative economic prosperity plus God-less perspectives on family and child-raising have resulted in a culture that sees children as a commodity.  I am convinced that most parents (unwittingly) are more concerned with what their child will do for them than what they will do for their child.

Needless to say, it adds up to a lot of stress on the children, and a goal- and results- driven perspective on most everything related to childhood.  Long hours of school, unbelievable numbers of out-of-school tutoring and extracurriculars for even the youngest little ones.

The market for "pre-natal education" (ie teaching your child something while they are yet in the womb) is booming.  I can't tell you how much my kids learned in the womb, though I am absolutely sure that Isaac knew exactly who Julianna and Lydia were the moment he was born.... just the way he responded to their voices made it clear those little girlies were old friends.  But still, recognizing the big sisters' voices is a far cry from intentional "in the womb" early intervention meant to guarantee baby will be a genius :) 


All that to say, Matt and I have been very hesitant to put the girls in dance class, since the purpose of most classes seems to be the creation of well-trained prima ballerinas with no thought to enjoyment or fun in the classroom.  All our girls want is a chance to spin and twirl and have heaps of fun in the name of 'dance class'. 



Imagine our delight when the perfect opportunity presented itself - an evening class at their preschool, open only to enrolled students (guaranteed class size would be small and teachers were coming from within the school).  I inquired specifically about the nature of the classes, and told them we were interested in FUN, with a smidge of dance thrown in for good measure.  It seemed to be a great fit. 


Last Thursday night was their first class - I knew the FUN requirement was met when Lydia hopped out of the car after last week's class.  "Mommy, I'm a dancer!" she called out when she saw me.  As uncoordinated and large-motor skills challenged as my sweet second born is, I figured dance class had the potential to be most difficult for her.  When she declared her new "dancer" status I was convinced the class was a success!

Julianna too, was delighted.  [The girls are together for warm ups then break up into two different classes to work on their dancing :) ]  They've showed off their new moves every day since then, and can't wait to go back this week.  When Matt is in town and available he hopes to take them to their class (6 to 7 pm) and give me a little mid week break!  Isaac tagged along last week and it went okay.  There is a playground in the school yard, and while it stays light enough he'll be able to play outside.

Of course, he is the only little sibling out there :(  So my girls are the only ones with a built in little-brother fan club.  Which is a whole lot more valuable than pre-natal education any day of the week, at least in my book!!

7 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

I can see the focus in Julianna's and Lydia's faces - they definitely are taking the lessons seriously. And glad they're having fun too! Thanks for the photos - wonderful!

Grandma Jan said...

Precious fun looking. Love the serious faces. So glad for the opportunity for them and for you. Love you all, Jan

Paul said...

they have been teaching me the stretches, and have advised that I must practice more. Last night upon being quizzed about my practice and informed that I had not, Julianna suggested that "now would be a good time to practice" so we did.

loving it -- Grandaddy

Krisanne said...

Oh, so fun! I'm so glad they get to go to dance class! Praise the Lord for this opportunity! They both look like pros to me. :) So cute.

Lauren said...

SO CUTE, Laura! Lydia can teach me some moves! I appreciated your very accurate description of chinese children...I may have to quote you on that. Thinking of you today!

Susan said...

There is nothing sweeter than little girls taking dance class -except for the little brother fan club!
Love you all!

Julie Redfern said...

Fun! Love that you were able to find something fun and not so serious for them. Sounds and looks like they are enjoying it!!