Saturday, September 24, 2011

another saturday

It's no secret that Saturday is not my favorite.  End of a week.  And, in this case, the end of a very long month for Matt, and a veeeerrrry long first trimester for me.  While I definitely have more and more good days, and while my current 'bad day' is a cake walk compared to mid August, I feel yuck more than I'd like.  I'm mostly off anti-nausea meds, but still end up taking them more than I wish I did :(

So I was already prepared to just trudge through the day.  Loaded up the kids and headed to the market, since I just figured out last night what I need to be bringing to a pot luck tomorrow.  Lucky me, it's lots of veggies, which means lots of washing and chopping (picture veggies straight off the farmer's truck and you won't be surprised when I tell you the bottom of my sink has MUD in it when I'm done!)

Saturday morning......  It's basically standing room only at the market :)  I wish I was kidding, but I'm not.  We got our veggies and got out of there!  By the time we got home I had chalked the day up as survival.  just get through it.  Wash the piles of dishes in the sink so I can get to the veggie washing..  Serve and clean up lunch.  Get kids down for rest.  Make dips (for veggies).  Cook, serve and clean up supper. GO TO SLEEP!!! 

As if to ice the cake, the phone rang - it was the repair man for our hot water heater.  I asked him when he was coming and he asked me how serious the problem was.  "Well, kind sir, every time I turn on the hot water the gas smell is so strong I have to leave the room.  With three young children in the house I've decided to take the cautious route and turn off the gas supply to the entire house.  No hot water, no hot shower, no using the stove top.  In my book, I'd say this is a problem.  When are you coming?"  [Perhaps I should have preempted my little speech with a hint that today was not the best I've had!]

Needless to say, he decided he'd come :)  [and he did, and the problem is fixed.  yay!]

But it seems the Lord just would not let me moan and groan through my day.  So graciously, He turned my attitude, and changed the course of a day.  As I unloaded veggies He reminded me that today is a birthday party for a far-off friend's three year old son.  That simple thought put a smile on my face.  Praise the Lord for life!  While I washed the first set of dishes I listened to laughter in the courtyard, the kids dancing in the gorgeous fall sunshine - playing with balloons that we blew up and tied to lengths of yarn earlier this morning.  Later Isaac joined me at the sink and we washed cherry tomatoes. 



I turned on some music (my current obsession is listening to worship song recordings from our brother and sister-in-law, Andy and Kristi.  My kids are addicted, and so am I!)

And then the girls came prancing out of my bedroom.  I've been sorting clothes (summer to winter with the added complication of pulling out maternity duds) and the window seat in my bedroom was piled with clothes.  The girls found it, and started a little fashion show.



I decided to just enjoy it, and tried not to think about all my (previously nicely folded) piles of clothes :) 



The veggies are washed and dried and waiting for my knife.  Matt and Dad will be here by 5:30 for supper.  Isaac sleeping, girls reading on their beds, and me?  Why, I'm having a really good day! 

2 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

You stayed focused on your blessings and what a joyous day you all had! Dad loved his time with the kids yesterday too - they are a wonderful blessing for us all! Glad to hear you continue to feel better as you near the beginning of the second trimester!

Grandma Jan said...

Glad you're your nausea is less and less. Praying it will be gone completely. My sisters granddaughter is very sick in the beginning of her third pregnancy to needing to be hospitalized for dehydration. Has 2 little ones, 2 and not a year yet. Cassandra never had this with her first 2 pregnancies. Yukka do, like Grandma Ruth says. Love you, Jan