Tuesday, January 13, 2009

3 year old theology

Earlier this fall I was exposed to some material (at www.childrendesiringgod.org) that encouraged me to persevere in teaching Scriptural truths to young children. Young children can and do have a theology!

And although there are times that I have my doubts, and want to quit training and teaching, and feel like I am on a long and winding road that might not actually lead anywhere, I trust that God is faithful to use our efforts. That the road DOES lead somewhere, and if God chooses to gracefully intervene and open their eyes to truth, my children will one day know Jesus for who He really is and what He did for them on the cross.

And in the meantime, God is gracious to give me glimpses of truth sinking in, hearts being penetrated, Scripture taking root. No promises of tomorrow. No guarantees that they will know Christ at an early age and choose to walk with Him for a lifetime. But a hope and courage to keep on training and trusting.

Like tonight. I overheard this snippet of conversation -

Matt: God must punish sin because God is just.
Julianna: Yeah, He is just that good. (pause) And he is just too.

Now, does Julianna really understand that God's righteousness, His justice, is part of His goodness? That God could not be wholly good if he were not wholly just? No, she probably doesn't understand all of that. But, as usual, she surprises me with what she DOES understand. And my hunch is that she understands more than I might think.

At the very least, I was challenged to reconsider again the intermingling of God's justice, His righteousness, His goodness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Juliana and i could actually have a deep conversation - I think we might be on the same level :) Love you all - SCC

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is amazing. Keep up the great teaching. Love You, Julie

Mammanett said...

Hi Laura,
We enjoyed spending time with your parents - they are way cool! I know EA is missing you guys - but we are LOVING every second of having them. Can't wait to see you guys when I come back with the Huffmans!
Lynnette