Sunday, June 15, 2008

what 50 cents can buy

When Julianna was about 15 months old I bought her a little blue plastic stool at a store across the street from our old apartment for 50 cents. Little did I know that the blue stool would become one of her most prized possessions! At first, she just loved to sit on it. She'd sit for a few moments, stand up, move the stool, sit again. Repeat.

Now, the stool is her access to things normally out of reach. One phrase I can pretty much guarantee I'll hear at least ten times a day is "where is my stool?" as she wanders around the house looking for it!

In fact, yesterday morning before the girls were up I saw the stool and thought, "I should write a blog post about that stool ". Later I went in to get the girls and sat down on Julianna's bed to feed Lydia - as soon as I finished Julianna looked up at us and said, "I wanna burp her, I wanna burp her." And then.... "Where is my stool?" [She needs her stool to climb up onto her own bed :)]

"Well, that just confirms my theory that she asks for that stool a hundred times a day", I thought. And I decided then and there that I would try to photograph every time she used the stool that day. So, while she rushed off to look for her stool, I rushed off to get the camera.

Here she is climbing up on her bed to help burp Lydia.

And later that morning as we were headed out for a walk... she was 'helping' me get Lydia's sun hat.


After we got in from our walk, it was time to wash hands!


And then she picked up her stool and headed over to the pantry .....


where she picked out a snack.


And that's when I realized that trying to photograph her every time she used the stool in one day was a full-time job! So I quit for the day. But it was fun while it lasted :)

All that fun, for 50 cents!

5 comments:

Lori said...

What a great buy! Sometimes the things the kids like to play with the MOST are the things that cost us the LEAST! (Don't tell that to the toy companies, though!)

;-)

Paul said...

a day in the life of a ...

well told

love Dad/GrandDad who likes action photos like those

and you really are fostering her independence like we did her Mom.

Paul said...

a day in the life of a ...

well told

love Dad/GrandDad who likes action photos like those

and you really are fostering her independence like we did her Mom.

Jaci said...

That is so cute! Another thing that Lizzy and Julianna have in common:) Lizzy loves to get her stool too!

Kristi said...

Yes...don't kids love to play with stools and other household items like that? Especially things that they can climb on!!

Cute pictures too capturing these memories!