Saturday, June 7, 2008

the days are long, but the years are short

Two of our little buddies, Emma Grace and Kayleigh, share the same birthday - June 10th - Kayleigh turns 2, and Emma Grace will be 1. For Julianna, this is just about as much good news as any little girl can handle at one time! She has been talking birthdays and birthday parties all week long.

We've gotten the presents wrapped and Julianna is anxious to get started eating cupcakes - this afternoon is Emma Grace's party, and tomorrow afternoon is Kayleigh's. I'll take the camera and get a few photos this afternoon.

Little kids grow up so very quickly, don't they? A mom that I respect very much once said, "the days are long, but the years are short". So true, isn't it? We've had some long days around the house this week - it is a very busy time of year for Matt, and I've been doing the "solo mommy" thing way too much. [thankfully, things should slow down dramatically in the next week or so!] Anyways, on those long days, it's helpful to keep the "years are short" perspective! So, I am thankful that these two birthdays are this particular week, because it's been a good, consistent reminder to treasure the moments... birthdays are just around the corner and the years are going by fast.

4 comments:

Paul said...

you want a short year? try one of mine lately-- such a true observation-- I know exactly what you mean -- and when the days are short too- --

love Dad

Jaci said...

SO true, my friend! I am beginning to actually see this now that I have a 2nd grader. I truly can't believe it! And yes, we have had many a LONG day, but the years are passing way too quickly! I too want to treasure each moment and enjoy this season of mothering! I hope you have a fun time at the parties!

Anonymous said...

So true. And with a week like I had with all the sick stuff it does help to have that reminder, so thank you!
Love JUlie

Kristi said...

Oh, Laura...how TRUE!! The DAYS can be so long sometimes...but, oh how the years ARE going by so fast over here too!!!

I too want to just treasure EACH moment...the good and the not-so-good with each stage of my kiddos' lives...time just continues to FLY by!!