Tuesday, June 3, 2008

home again

Well, we had a great time away, but I am glad to be home. At least, I think I am glad to be home... I was definitely eager to get back and see the girls but sitting at the dinner table tonight I was having second thoughts... maybe we should have stayed away longer?!?!? Dinner is a loud affair around here. Lydia loves to make noise, lots of noise, and seems to think sitting in her high chair is a cue to let the noise-making carnival begin. She is a loud kid.

We left Sunday morning and arrived in time to check into our hotel before going to our friends' wedding later that afternoon....on the way to the airport Sunday morning I realized that this was the first time I had flown without kids since Julianna's birth. Julianna was ten days old on her first flight, and we've flown tens of thousands of miles since that day - domestic flights here in China, multiple trips to Thailand, home to the States twice, a whirlwind round-the-world trip through Egypt, Syria and Turkey with a one-night layover in Frankfurt, etc. I was a bit unprepared for the luxury of flying without kiddos! Wowsers, it's a totally different experience. Matt (who flies a lot without me or the kids) was laughing at me - I kept commenting on how easy it was to not have one kid on my hip and another at my knee and 33 lbs of carry-on baggage and.... well, you get the picture.

So, all in all, we had a great time. Matt had prepared 31 different questions for me to answer over the few days we were gone. Every now and then he'd pull out a little bag and have me choose another question. They covered every imaginable topic - things like, "what are your three favorite dishes to cook?" and "if you could live anywhere in the world where would you choose?"

One of the questions was, "when do you think Lydia will walk?" We chose dates and made a bet - looser cooks dinner for the winner. I chose Sept 15 (her 13 month birthday). Matt went with September 8th. So, if she walks before mid-September, Matt wins, after mid-September and I'm the winner. One reason I hope I win is because I'm curious to see what Matt will cook for dinner.... I asked him if he was planning on French toast. I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something like, "I know how to cook other things, I just haven't done it in a while". I did not point out that I cook dinner for him basically every night anyways, so if I loose, I'm not out very much!

Well, that's all for now. Here's a photo from the wedding -

4 comments:

Paul said...

enjoyed the story and the questions - 3 places would like to to live?

1.on a river bank in Thailand in an old style home with no air-conditioning (I remember the Governor's we stayed in during trtaining-- so comfortable)

2.in a large "culturally Latin" or Chinese city

3. Washington DC

Patt said...

Please give Pilgrim and husband our good wishes - what a beautiful bride! My guess - Lydia will walk before her first birthday! I know you didn't offer, Matt, but you can cook a meal while we're there in October - you'll have more to admire your skills! Love to all, Mom/Patt/Grandmama Oh, I'll ditto Paul's best places to live vote.

Kristi said...

Oh...I am so glad that you guys had a nice time away...but, it is good to be home again!! :-)

How nice, though, to have that uninterrupted conversation with Matt! I loved his questions...how fun!

And, it will be fun to see who wins the bet...I hope that you win too so that we can all see what Matt decides to make! Now that he knows you may blog about it, I have a feeling it may not be French toast (not that there is anything wrong with French toast!) :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm in for August 31. The $1 bid.