Monday, April 14, 2008

oh me, oh my

Julianna is confusing "me" and "my" a lot these days... which leads to some really interesting sounding sentences.

"mommy, come play with my"

"No Lydia, that one is for my"

"Let's do it together, you and my"

And, when she wants to do something by herself without interference it's "my my my".

Of course, I consider it my good-motherly duty to correct her :)

Actually, most times I just let it go. Why? Let's say Julianna is trying to climb up on something by herself and is chanting, "my my my". And let's say I choose to correct her: "do you mean 'me me me'"? The result? She looks at me, and says in a loud voice, "ME ME ME ME ME".

Hmmm, that's not exactly what I'm going for either.... I mean, I want her to use "me" and "my" appropriately. But, a toddler chanting "ME ME ME"? I think I'll settle for the confusion and let her work it out on her own. Chances are, she'll get it straight one day!

Besides, correcting her grammatical errors could be a full-time job.

"Yeah, I will give it to she"

"Oh, look at her, her laughing!"

"I share it with Lydia my bowl"

"Remember when mommy a baby she eat cake, right?"

[This last one is because she saw the photo compilation that Matt and I played at our wedding rehearsal dinner... it had lots of photos of the two of us as we were growing up. Somehow she managed to connect the photo compilation video with the video from our actual wedding reception when Matt and I cut the cake and, voila.....mommy ate cake when she was a baby! Makes perfect sense to me!]

Her favorite "starts" to conversations are:

"Remember when...." and "I got an idea, let's...."

All this to say, I am glad that Matt is back and I can have some real conversation with him! I get lonely for someone to really talk to when he's not around!

3 comments:

Paul said...

great post-- loved it, be sure to let she read a mazagine (sic) with you.

We loved hearing you say mazagine and never corrected it --

love
Dad/GrandDad

Patt said...

No, we didn't correct your pronunciation of mazagine and you came home one day from kindergarten furious with us - guess the other kids had made fun of your pronunciation? Enjoy Julianna's sweet talk - it'll disappear soon enough and she'll correct Lydia for you as you did Stephen's baby talk! Love, Mom/Grandmama

Kristi said...

Oh, how I LOVE the things that kids come up with and what they say!!!

It is so true what your mom said...my kids have had their pronunciation issues with things when they were in their early talking years...and soon enough they started saying things "right" and I DID kind of miss the incorrect ways that they used to say things!! They just grow up so fast!!