Monday, April 7, 2008

family day!

Matt and I have decided that for our anniversary we definitely want to celebrate as a couple, NO KIDS! But, we also want to celebrate with our kids, after all, our wedding was the beginning of our family - so it's only right to include them a bit!

So, with that in mind, and since today was Matt's day off, and since our anniversary was Saturday, I decided that today was FAMILY DAY. I captured some of the highlights of our day on film, so enjoy :)

We started with breakfast on the town - these little stalls set up in the empty lot across the street from our apartment complex every morning.


Julianna loves EVERYTHING they serve - here she is chomping away on "baozi" - meat-stuffed steamed dumplings. (no, that's NOT the proper way to use chopsticks, but it sure works well in this situation!)


the man who made the "baozi" - he is retired from the factory in town. I think he probably runs his little breakfast stand in part for the additional money, but also just to have something interesting to do!


For lunch we loaded up the double stroller and walked down to the park for a picnic.

Lydia skipped out on the sandwiches, chips and fruit in favor of a little baby-food-take-out from the family fridge.


I gave Matt two maps for his birthday and finally got them framed for his office. We hung them this afternoon - that's Julianna pointing out Indonesia (Matt's sis and bro-in-law Krisanne and Paul are moving to Indonesia, so we talk about it a lot! And, NO, she can't locate it on her own, we have to point her in the right direction!)


We finished off our day with a home-made pizza dinner with two of Matt's buddies. Julianna calls our friends either "ayi" (auntie) or "shu-shu" (uncle). She LOVES visitors and her excitement level rises about ten points when anyone walks in the door.

Julianna frequently wants to pray before meals. It usually goes like this, "thank you Jesus, pray Mommy and Daddy and Ju-nana and Lydia. AMEN". But today it went like this, "thank you Jesus, pray Mommy and Daddy and Ju-nanna and Lydia and shu-shu and 'nother one shu-shu. AMEN."

That's shu-shu on my left, and 'nother one shu-shu sitting next to her!


What a GREAT DAY!!

7 comments:

Paul said...

My goodness that was a great day!!

I remember my parents taking the four - then five of us out on their aniversary a few times too - to see a movie and dinner (brothers remember "the Enemy Below"?

It was and still is a good idea -- thanks for sharing.

Love Dad/Granddad

Patt said...

What a wonderful way to remember the start of your family with the children. Looks like the weather was warm and sunny. You sure Julianna can't find Indonesia on her own? She is very precious if I say so myself. Love, Mom/Grandmama

Anonymous said...

What an awesome time you guys had!! That sounds like a great idea for our 8th anniversary coming up in May. I might just steal your idea. Happy Anniversary too by the way. And I second Susan's comments about UNC (sorry).
love Julie

Jaci said...

How Fun!! I am a BIG fan of Family Days!:)

So many times when you post something about what Julianna says, I can say "ditto". Lizzy says SO many things similiar. Her prayers now usually are..."Lord I pray for Uncle John an Mommy an daddy an Abby an Drewy an Sammy an Amen." It is SO sweet huh? I love that "nother one shu-shu":)

Jaci said...

PS...Thanks a TON for praying for me! I appreciate it SO much:)

Anonymous said...

That is such a fun idea - thanks for sharing about your day! Paul and I both especially enjoyed the picture of Julianna pointing out Indonesia, way to go Julianna! You are all welcome to visit us ANYTIME once we get there - we can't wait!

Love, Krisanne

Kristi said...

Those "family days" are WONDERFUL, aren't they?? It was so fun to read about yours and see pictures too!!!

Thanks for sharing!! :-)