Thursday, April 10, 2008

first words??

Lydia is starting to really babble. She just talks and talks. And she's getting louder every day. Yesterday Matt called during lunch. I put my phone on speakerphone and set it in the middle of the table so Julianna could say Hello. Lydia banged her hands on the high chair tray and hollered at the phone for the duration of their short conversation.

Julianna's first word was "baba" which means Daddy in the local language . She still calls Matt "baba" about 70 percent of the time. And, here's the kicker.... not only was 'baba' her first word, but she didn't say "mama" for a few more months! She even called ME 'baba'!

So, with Lydia, I was determined that she would say "mama" first :) But what is she babbling? "Ba ba ba ba ba". And, occasionally, "da da da da". Nothing that sounds even remotely like a "mmmm" or "ma ma ma".

I still maintain that "baba" is not her first word... that her babbling has no meaning, yet! Matt grins and says that Lydia knows what she is talking about! It doesn't help that Julianna exclaims, "look at Lydia, she's saying Baba!" That's two votes against me. Ahhh, where's the love Lydia?

4 comments:

Patt said...

Where's the love is right! Mama should definitely be every child's first word but we mothers just getting losing that battle! (It's a physiological thing but try convincing a ba-ba/da-da of that!) Hope Ms. Lydia picks up ma-ma-ma-ma soon too! Love, Ma-ma, Grandma-ma

Julie Redfern said...

I feel the same way. Will did say mama first but then I could have been just wishful thinking because it took awhile after that first time for him to say it again. It's not fair is it!
Love
Julie

Lori said...

Hi Laura...I don't know if you remember me, but we know the Kvernens well from FEFC. It's fun to "catch up" with you and Matt via your blog - we always enjoy your letters, too, but it's fun to see what you guys are "up to" on a day-to-day basis! And HOW the girls are growing!
:-)
For the Heydts,
Lori

Kristi said...

Oh, yes...I know! My kids all said "da da da" first as well. It just isn't "fair" that "Dada" is the easier to say than "Mama"!!! I feel your pain Laura!!! :-)

The babbles still are sweet though, aren't they???

Oh...and I hear you totally on the lack of ability to play the game "Memory" anymore. I used to be pretty good at it. However, now I can't even keep track of my keys (I am always looking for them as we get ready to leave somewhere) let alone remember where matches are in Memory! I so feel your pain here as well!!! :-)