Tuesday, October 16, 2007

the puppy never burped

Julianna is really getting into pretending these days. She loves to "cook" and frequently sits up on the counter with me when I am preparing lunch and/or dinner.

Today she started a new 'pretend' game - burping her baby doll. She insisted that I put a burp cloth on her shoulder and proceeded to burp her baby. Then, it was on to the rest of the animal kingdom. First target, a small stuffed sheep. The sheep, however, was quickly put aside in favor of a rather large stuffed puppy (affectionately referred to as 'buppy' because Julianna does not pronounce a clear initial 'P' sound). Buppy disappointed both of us with his failure to produce any audible burping noise. Rest assured, we'll try again tomorrow!

Lydia is also making huge strides in her ability to "play". This week she started deliberately reaching for toys. This might not sound like much, but, trust me, for an 8 week old, this is big news! She continues to be a delight during the day and rewards us with an 8+ hour stretch of sleep each night. Julianna was 7 months old before I got this kind of sleep!

Here we are snuggling on the couch together....


oh yeah - our date last night. Well, we opted away from Thai food when Matt reminded me that I ate curry a few weeks ago and Lydia protested mightily during her next two feedings. Wendy and Brian had a great time with a sleeping Julianna and not-to-fussy Lydia, so the evening was a big success. We're big fans of the date night and aim to continue our once-a-week habit. We're always looking for babysitters, so if any of you are interested....

2 comments:

Patt said...

Babysitting interests me but I don't think I can afford it! What a great photo - thanks so much for the blog. I would love to see Julianna burping her animals! Love, Mom

Patt said...

Laura - you look terrific, more beautiful by the year. And those are some beautiful granddaughters! Mom