Monday, February 14, 2011

marketing and other tid-bits

We are slowly figuring out how to do life in this new home, new neighborhood, new city....  Lots of new to learn :)

Almost every morning I wake up with that cruddy "it's morning and I am so tired" feeling.  Hoping to get rid of that soon with my new go-to-bed-regardless-of-the-yet-to-be-done-list plan.  We'll see how successful I am :)

It's been chilly and rainy for the past few days.  We wear lots of clothes (indoors and out).  I've been riding our electric bike with the kids.... a slight drizzle plus plenty of wind makes it a VERY cold ride.  The kids don't seem to care, especially Isaac who wakes up talking about riding and grins the entire time.  The kids all got a good bit bigger during the six months we were in the US and I can really tell when I take all of them on the bike.  It is heavier and more difficult to maneuver, but still a great option for quick little trips in our immediate neighborhood.  Buying a car is near the top of our to-do list, but I'm not sure when it will happen.  Matt will probably go out shopping a few times, then take me to look at the final choices, then we'll make the decision.  He's thinking about trying to go this weekend.  We did do some preliminary shopping last spring and there are not a ton of options in our size-range, so it shouldn't be too complex. 

Our market is a short walk away and taking the kids along makes it into quite the adventure.  Depending on the attitude of yours truly, it can be very stressful or just moderately challenging :)  On this particular day I was hanging in there, mostly excited about picking up some fruit and introducing the kids to my one of my new friends (who sells fruit and does minor mending jobs at a foot pedal sewing machine in her free time).  I had a pair of Matt's jeans that needed patching in the knees.

Here we are just setting out, Isaac sporting his rain boots and pushing his own stroller, girls up front with umbrellas just waiting to do major damage to themselves or others.  


We made it out to the market (a back street that becomes an impromptu market when the fruit/veggie/meat vendors show up).  Everyone brings their own little tent or tarp or tables to showcase their goods - everything from bananas to bunnies, and no, I am not kidding... we walked past fresh skinned rabbits just waiting for the cooking pot (not mine!)


We opted for pork instead (the guy in back with the cleavers is grinding my pork - I picked out the cut of meat first and then he started chopping away). 


Dinner?  Sloppy joes :)  Still no oven, but I am cooking on the stove top and crock pot and it's going okay - though I am getting desperate for some good bread!  Hopefully we'll have the oven set up within the week. 

We are hopeful that we found a good school for the girls... they start on Wednesday morning.  All of us went over late this afternoon to check it out and Julianna is especially ready.  Lydia, well, we'll just have to see how it goes :) 

Signing off now, my mandatory bedtime is approaching :) 

5 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Good to see some of your new neighborhood and surrounds. Yucky weather. Love you all bunches!

The Huffmans said...

I think I need a mandantory bedtime. maybe we should start accountability for going to bed, not just getting up!!! HEHE!! I am reminded of how hard and slow it is to get into the groove of life in a new place (esp another country!) Praying for you. also, I have a pair of andy's jeans that need to be patched-can you take them to the market for me???? I just went and bought my own patch and sewing kit. we'll see how that goes! missing the little things like that in East Asia. lots of love to you dear dear friend.

Jaci said...

I need a mandatory bedtime as well!! Just this morning when I woke up with a similar feeling to the one you described, I was thinking I should put one in place. I love hearing about your day to day...helps to know how to pray and to feel like I KNOW you! :-) The pictures are so cute and I really love your sweet family!!

Anonymous said...

Great to hear that you are able to get into some routines again - and establish new ones for your new life. Love seeing your pictures. How wonderful to have a playground so close by! Our prayers are with you.
Robin & Michael

Leslie said...

Ha - when I read your title, I thought you were going to try "marketing" your new city to us, as in convincing us to be your neighbors. How I would love to be your neighbor!

I think when I head to Kroger tomorrow, I'm going to call it "grocery-storing."

Glad to hear you've set yourself a bedtime schedule. Sleep really helps. I think it is underrated.