Monday, February 28, 2011

last week we....

A few of the major (and minor) events of the last week that I missed posting ....

In the "minor events" category :)

I tried to really engage with my kids, despite what (at times) seemed like chaos swirling around me.  We started reading again in the Little House on the Prairie series, we went on a few adventures around the neighborhood, and made several different little crafts like this one....

Isaac with the paint brush (washable, thankyouverymuch)


 and all three with the finished product (caterpillars)


We had three days of incredible weather and spent loads of time on our front porch and in our yard.  I will probably never stop loving the yard!  So incredible that my kids can slip on shoes and walk outside and play play play.  It's small, but so are they :)  It's fenced in and I can watch them through huge glass doors.  One of many things to LOVE about our new apartment. 

In the "major events" category, we bought our car.  First time since 2000 that either Matt or I have owned a vehicle :)  It is such a TREMENDOUS blessing.  Oh my, what a blessing.  We are so grateful to have it, and so eager to see how God will use it to bless others as well. 


It's kind of a miniaturized version of a US minivan.  We opted for a middle row bench seat (that folds down for access to the back row).  Technically, it is a seven passenger vehicle but we've already used it to carry 8 :)  It's plenty roomy for all three kids to sit in the middle row. I've been driving it quite a bit and love it - the size is perfect (small enough to navigate big city, big enough to hold our family plus some). 


Another major event - we hired a house helper!  She will be with us for a least a month, maybe longer, and I CANNOT tell you how huge this is for me!  Life here without help is challenging.  We live far from any 'easy convenient' food options.  These past weeks I've been taking the kids to the market, buying the produce and meat, coming home and starting the washing, cutting, chopping, cooking process.  Most of the produce is straight from the farm - pretty much the exact opposite of baby carrots, or prewashed lettuce, or bagged apples.  Add to that the bazillion loads of dishes I've washed and dried and.... well, let's just say I'm grateful for help! 

She will be here 4 hours a day (mostly afternoons) to help with cleaning, marketing, kitchen chores (think hours of dishwashing!) and other odd jobs.  Today she is going to help me find someone to change out the lock on our mail box.  The key is MIA, the landlord is not in a position to help, the apartment management company recommended I find a locksmith.  So I went looking.  I remember seeing a locksmith at the market last week, but now I can't find him anywhere.  (He's got a cart attached to a pedal bike, so he's mobile!)  Anyways, me and the kiddos traipsing along don't cover much territory quickly, so the four of us looking for a mobile locksmith is kind of a joke.  I explained the problem to our new helper and it's on her list of things to do today :)  yay! 

Oh, and I finally got my oven working!!!!  Another big yay!  The first thing I cooked was a big batch of granola (our favorite breakfast!) and then I moved on to bar cookies, birthday cake and cinnamon rolls.  For supper we're having bbq chicken, sweet potatoes and beer bread.  If you've never gone a few weeks without an oven, well.... I don't recommend it! 

Honestly, I feel upbeat now, but this past week was really discouraging.  There are so many things I don't know how to do/find in our new neighborhood.  So much new to learn.  Each day I felt like I was falling farther and farther behind.  It got pretty yucky. 

But today I have renewed hope. 

On top of all that, today is Matt's birthday :)  We went on a fun adventure this morning.  We have friends coming for cake (and hopefully ice cream, I'm getting ready to run out and check a few stores and see if I can find some!).  Pictures and stories to come .....

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

What an upbeat post - so glad you've found some help and that you now have a car! What a blessing both are. Glad life is settling down for you. You'll really remember these first hectic weeks - and the kids will too. We love you and happy birthday to Matt! First mail is on its way. We love you!

Krisanne said...

Praise God for your car! And for house help! I can't wait to ride in the car myself in a few weeks. :) So glad life is starting to sort of settle down a little bit for you!

About the pictures, I usually start uploading and then go and do something else. Like take a shower, do some kitchen clean-up, etc. If I just sit and watch and wait I get really impatient! But I will say our internet is just a little bit better and faster than last year, so that's nice!

And the chicken - no KFC delivery there? It's our one western restaurant here. In America, I am not a big KFC fan. Here, especially after being in the village and eating beans, peanut butter, and an occasional piece of fish for protein, it tastes AMAZING! I go a little crazy and eat a LOT of chicken! We've decided it's our new "returning from the village" tradition.

Love to you all, and happy birthday to Matt! I tried to connect via skype this morning, but I'm sure you had many to talk to.

Paul said...

as one who drove a minivan for twenty of the last twenty one years, Looks good in your driveway ! and it does. to every thing there is a season and this is the season for you and minivans and I am so happy for you guys.
love from a GrandDad

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

YEA for the van!!
YEA for the yard!!
YEA for the help!!
YEA for sunnier days ahead :)!!