Tuesday, February 22, 2011

heading to school

Today was the girls' third day of school.  All in all, the transition has been really smooth.  It's a great school with a nice facility, small(er) classes, outdoor play space, etc.  The girls really lost a lot of their Chinese language ability when we were in the US, and we are eager to get them back in an environment where they are using their second language consistently.  

Julianna occasionally complains that her Chinese is not as good as it used to be, or bemoans how much she has forgotten, but she is improving so rapidly and feeling really encouraged.  It helps that her little neighborhood playmates are all Chinese speakers as well.  Just this evening as we were with friends I was noticing how easily she is communicating, much more so than even a few weeks ago.

Lydia did not have nearly the foundation that Julianna did before we left, so it's been tougher on her.  Today she told me "I don't like when my teachers talk to me because I don't really understand what they say."  I can certainly empathize.... there have been a lot of moments in our years here that I didn't like when people talked to me because I couldn't understand what they were saying :) 

Lydia is a motivated learner, and so committed to communicating that I think if she can push through this first month she'll be golden.  Her teachers do lots of singing, crafts, games, and other activities that are right up her alley, so it's a great environment for her.  And her teachers are really encouraging too, they think she is doing great.  But as important as communication is to Lydia, it doesn't surprise me that this particular situation drives her crazy. 

Isaac and I are establishing our own little morning routine without the big sisters around.  He only asks about them once every fifteen minutes or so :)  "Where did Julianna and Lydia go?"  "Julianna and Lydia at school?  Why?"  [Yes, already hearing lots of "why?" from the little guy.... loves to say "why mommy why?"]

He is definitely excited to go pick them up (in part because he gets to ride the electric bike).  Here he is all loaded up and set to go, that's our fence and front porch behind him. 


Last spring I was still carrying him on my back a lot, but he's gotten bigger and is a much better fit for the kid seat.  Which means Lydia graduated to the "standing in front" spot and Julianna rides behind me.

Isaac and I leave our complex and turn right, heading for the underpass beneath the airport expressway.  You can kind of see it in the distance in the photo.  You can also barely see an imposing looking building at the far end of the road - the street dead ends at the front gate of the College of Information Technology.  


Passing under the expressway.... 


Then just a few more blocks and we're there (the school is at the far back end of a larger apartment complex, a great location).  Julianna's class is on the third floor, Lydia's class is on the second.  There are about 120 total students, which is 1/3 the size of their previous school!


I get everyone loaded on and we head back the way we came.  It takes about seven minutes (if I'm not stopping every few blocks to snap a photo!).  Here's our view as we approach our complex.


And I attempted this "self portrait" of me with all the kids on the bike -  our reflection in the glass on the doorway to our stairwell (and the camera's flash makes my face look like a burst of light!)


We'll do the whole scene again, three days a week this spring (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday).  So proud of my little ladies and so thankful for this great school that is just a short ride from our house. 

2 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

So glad you found an even better school - I know the girls will be feeling more comfortable and proficient soon! Lydia's desire to communicate will keep her in the ball game. Four precious bodies on that one little scooter! We love you!

Leslie said...

Thank you for taking the time to stop and take those pictures. It is so good to get a feel for where you live - so different from Watkinsville, GA.

Hoping you have a great weekend!