Monday, November 1, 2010

pumpkin patching (is that a word?)

On Saturday Grandma loaded up my two girls, drove down to pick up a few more cousins, and headed to the pumpkin patch.  My sister in law Kristi joined in too - and after the girls got home that afternoon I had a twinge of "oh man, I wish I had gone", but in the end I'm glad I enjoyed my day here with just Isaac.   

Here's the whole crew posing on the hay bales.  One unforgettable highlight of our season in the States is definitely the time we've gotten to spend with these sweet cousins.  I still cannot believe that we've yet to have one royally huge fight between them - these kids just get along so very well.  [They are so sweet with Isaac too, and he was one disappointed little boy that he missed out on the festivities.... maybe next time little buddy!]



The pumpkin patch offered lots of entertainment...a hay maze


wagon rides

farm animals



and putt putt golf??  I don't quite get the relationship between putt putt and the other fall activities, but hey, this is America, and if you put a mini golf course at your pumpkin patch, the kids will come :) 


The girls brought home three big pumpkins to add to our collection.  I've already cooked two this fall, and I plan to roast one more tomorrow (or maybe two.... we'll see how the day rolls).  Pumpkin is probably one of my favorite 'flavors' and while what I really crave is some pumpkin soup from my dear friend Xiao Li, I'm willing to settle for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies instead.

My two favorite photos from the day?
This one of the two girls is my top pick.  Lydia can be fiercely independent, but she's a little sister at her core - looking to follow Julianna's lead and loving a little TLC from her big sis.  I think the girls' faces and body language in this photo really captures the tender side of their relationship. 


And who can resist this shot of the girl cousins.  Cousins and candy.  How sweet it is :)  


5 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

What a wonderful, memorable day for the cousins and Grandma. Everyone was bundled up - looked cold (that's relatively cold for us - we know it's not cold yet in ND)! Love the photo of the two sisters together. We love you!

Leslie said...

I have some roasted pumpkin in my fridge now and am looking for a use for it. I'd love your recipe for pumpkin cookies!

Julie Redfern said...

Looks like they did have lots of fun. I want that pumpkin cookie recipe too!

Chris, Leah, Austin, Bennett and Lucy said...

Hey! I made pumpkin soup and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies this week! I have been on a big pumpkin kick and, well its cheap and plentiful. Miss you! Think about you a lot and the waiting game you are in. Want to talk again sometime?

Paul said...

you can keep the recipes -- just send us Julianna and Lydia.

GrandDad