Friday, June 5, 2009

the origin of the buffalo

Julianna loves to "tell Isaac a story". She'll sit next to him and talk and talk - he adores her and smiles the entire time.

This is what it looks like - so cute :)


Anyways, for a while Julianna always included buffaloes in her stories..... Happy buffaloes. Mean buffaloes. Buffalo friends. Something buffalo tended to work its way into her tale. And I wondered where the buffalo theme originated. I had never really talked to her about buffaloes, couldn't remember a book about a buffalo, and though there are lots of water buffaloes working in the rice fields in our province, I don't think she's ever seen them.

Where did she get the buffalo from?

Well, we love to watch the little videos that our friends post on their blogs - mainly her cousins (Connor, Carson and Kaelynn) and my cousin Julie's kids (Caroline and Will). But our internet connection is slow. So we have to wait for the movie to "buffer". [I have no idea what "buffer" means, but I can tell you that I have spent a significant portion of my internet time waiting for "buffering" to happen!]

So the two of us are waiting for Lydia and Isaac to wake up from their naps and I am showing Julianna some of Julie's most recent videos.... and she says, "are we waiting for it to buffalo?" AHA! Buffalo! No, we've never watched a buffalo video, and I know that she knows a buffalo is an animal, but I'm pretty sure that the buffalo stories started with the "buffalo-ing" of little internet videos!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ROFL....did NOT expect that is where she learned about buffalos!
Ann

Julie Redfern said...

I am glad she enjoys the videos. I do the same thing with Caroline while we wait for Will to get up from naps. Keep telling buffalo stories Julianna, it looks like Isaac enjoys them! Love Julie

Mom/Grandmama said...

Well, the mystery is solved! A story and a video - definitely a logical connection. Julianna may be surprised to find out what a buffalo is some day?! Time to google "buffalo"! Love you all and miss you!

Jaci said...

That is TOO CUTE! =)