Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Thailand Thailand (and I need a camera!)

Years ago I would have never imagined a life where the Bangkok airport felt like familiar territory.

Yet here I am.

In Thailand :)  Again!

Such a gift to be able to participate in these double-duty trips.  Plenty of meetings for Matt (and hopefully I'll be able to sneak in a meeting or two - gotta see how the kiddos hold up in child care).  Gobs and oodles and bazillions of friends for our children - what gift to spend time with these other children, their families, all in similar lifestyles, similar joys, similar challenges.

And time for me to connect with others too.  And then at the end of it all, two weeks at the beach.  Hey, if you come to Bangkok you might as well use up some vacation days, huh?

Yesterday afternoon we left home (cloudy and cold) and three hours later touched down in Bangkok .... ground temp 90 degrees (at 5:30pm!).  Yay for sunshine and blues skies and warm weather.  The kids wore their swim suits to breakfast!

Luke is having a hard time though - two days of high fevers, plus the usual struggle to get any sort of decent rest.  I've got a friend coming from America bringing me a reflux medicine to try with him.  If we don't see improvement within a week I'll be taking him to see a pediatrician here.  Sweet little guy just really struggles.  And I still see signs of stomach issues, something 'not quite right'.

Honestly, as sick as he was yesterday he actually flew really well - just a sad lethargic little guy,  mostly dozing in my arms.  Made for a sweaty flight for both of us, with feverish Luke tucked into my lap, but we made it with minimal fuss. 

After a morning at the pool Matt is out & about while I am in the room with the children - 4 sleeping!  It was a late night last night :) and only Julianna managed to stay awake in a quiet dark hotel room, so she is reading books.

oh, and a question for you....

Our camera died (several hundred dollars to repair it, we decided to let it go....) and we are looking to invest in another one.  Any ideas for me?  I just don't have the time or energy to spend looking at websites and trying to pick a good one.  I feel like everyone I know has a DSLR but I really don't know anything about photography (though I use our camera several times a week at least) so that seems like too much of a camera for me?!?!?  or maybe I would enjoy it now anyways and I'm sure I'd one day enjoy learning photography (Clearly now just isn't the season to allow me time to do that... maybe in a few years? or when the kids leave for college?  he he he.)

In the meantime I'd love a camera.

Seriously, please email or leave a comment or something if you have any tips or ideas or helpful info or even if you love your camera and want to recommend it .....


So for now, we're using our cell phones :)  Pictures coming, I promise. 

5 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Hope little Luke feels better soon. Have a great time in that warm sunny climate!

Jaci said...

Have SO much fun at the beach! Yay for vacation!! :-)

We just purchased a new camera this fall...and I had several recommend the Canon Rebel T3i. I have loved it and in the world of cameras it was affordable. :-) Even my photographer friend recommended this camera.

Buck Hodges said...

If you want an SLR, I second the recommendation to get the Canon T3i (I used to have a T1i). If you want one lens to do everything, wide and zoom without swapping lenses, you could get the 18-200 or the 18-135 (it's cheaper if you buy it as a kit with the camera). The SLRs take pictures faster (when you hit the button, there's a lot less delay before it takes the picture - great for capturing kids in action), have better image quality, perform better with less light, and give you flexibility with lenses compared to point and shoot. On the downside, it's much larger.

The other thing to consider is getting an external flash, like the Canon 430 EX II. There is a massive difference between taking a picture with the on-camera flash and with a flash like the 430. If you aim the flash up toward the ceiling, the pictures will be vastly better because you won't have the harsh, dark shadows from a direct flash. The only downside is that it adds weight and size.

The Canon S100 is a great choice if you want a small camera that you can put in a pocket or purse that takes very good pictures (Mallory has the older S95 that works quite well).

In between is a camera like the Canon G1 X that uses a larger sensor so the pictures are closer to the SLR in quality, but it costs as much as the T3i. The one advantage is that is much smaller than a T3i plus an equivalent lens.

I would have loved to have had a camera like the T3i when the kids were little (now have a Canon 60D that I really like).

If you go with the SLR, you'll need a camera bag. I like the Tamrac Velocity 6x for a small sling bag. The Lowepro Fastpack 250 is a good choice for a backpack.

Buck

Marianne B Dean said...

I just got a canon s100 and I really like it. I like to have a camera I can have with me at all times--more important to me than being able to take "fancy" photos with a blurred background or whatever. So DSLR not for me. The S100 takes great photos in lots of different situations--low light, etc. Nothing fancy--just a small, point and shoot, great quality.

Julie Redfern said...

I like my Canon powershot SX130. Does everything I need it to do and it fits in my purse or jacket pocket! Enjoy the break and the warmer weather.