Saturday, July 16, 2011

bounty is relative

We finally made it to the western owned bakery that has a lending library.  And what a treat!!  Sure, it's basically an overstuffed bookshelf, but there is an organizational system to it, and a little spiral notebook where you 'check out' books, and three comfy couches to lounge on while you narrow down your selections.  

All this tucked in a corner of a fun bakery that serves salads, sandwiches and pizza, fresh bread, and tasty-looking desserts. 

The bookshelf is home to all sorts of books .... board books to adult fiction and everything in between.  Unfortunately most of the kid stuff is well out of reach on the higher shelves, but we made it work and I re-shelved what seemed like 236 paperbacks that Isaac pulled out in a desperate search for "boy books". 

Later that afternoon I found Isaac lounging on Julianna's bed reading.  He was so engrossed in the stories (and 'reading' aloud to himself) that I startled him when I walked in the door.



I snagged these abridged versions of some girl-y classics I loved growing up.  Sure, I hope they someday love the unabridged originals, but for my (almost) 4 and 5 year old daughters, these are perfect.


It's a hike from our house, but worth it!  I hope to make the trip once or twice a month from here on out!

3 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Well we're certainly excited that we'll be reading books with Julianna, Lydia and Isaac in just a few weeks! Love you bunches - stay cool!

Krisanne said...

What a wonderful sounding place! Very cool! I think one of the things I miss most about America (besides Target and coffee shops) is LIBRARIES. So glad you have a "library" of sorts with all those English books!

Grandma Jan said...

So glad you've discovered this library / bakery/ cafe. Sounds like a really fun place to head to a couple times a month. Hope you have a wonderful time reading to the kiddos, Patt. Love to you all. Jan