Thursday, June 17, 2010

one more thing to love....

about hand-me-down clothing.

Probably 80% of our kids clothing comes to us courtesy of my cousin Julie and her two (soon to be three!) children.  Julie's daughter Caroline is one year older than Julianna, and her son Will is two years older than Isaac.  Works just about perfect for our family. 
There are MANY things to love about hand me down clothes.  It saves tons of money and effort.... I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars and hours of clothing shopping Julie's gracious sharing has saved me.  I also love that hand me down clothing is "risk free".  I never worry about markers or mud or macaroni ruining a brand new outfit :)  

But without a doubt my absolute favorite thing about hand me downs is the history!  I just really enjoy watching my kids run around in clothes that my cousin Julie's kids ran around in last summer.  Sure, they live thousands of miles away, but the clothes are a big link between our two families.  

I wonder which bathing suit was Caroline's favorite the summer she was 3 years old.  I pull a shirt over Isaac's head and think about Julie doing the exact same thing with the exact same shirt with her son just a few years ago.  It makes it feel like her family isn't so far away. 

And every now and then we get something with a tag like this...


Marie, whom my girls refer to as "Caroline's Grandma", made this for  Caroline who-knows-how-many summers ago.  Last summer it was Julianna's, and this summer it is quickly becoming one of Lydia's favorite sundresses. 


Pretty special, isn't it?  

And speaking of history, check out this photo of me and Julie with my Granddaddy taken just a few summers ago .... or maybe more like 25 summers ago :)

Lydia's hair remind you of anyone?!?!?




5 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Laura - what a wonderful blog! Tia Maria (as Stephen calls Caroline's Grandma), thanks for creating a sundress loved not by just one litle girl but now by at least three! I'm sure they're are more little girls yet to be born who will enjoy and be photographed in that same dress. And I love that photo of you, Julie and Granddaddy Crissman - always been one of my favorites. Cherished memories for multiple generations. We love you all!

Julie Redfern said...

I love it Laura! It makes me feel closer to you guys too! My kids talk about your kids ALL the time, and I love remembering when Caroline and WIll wore outfits that I see your kids wearing now. Caroline's first response to seeing the picture of Lydia was "I LOVED that dress, Mimi made it for me!" I was just going through clothes yesterday actually and have LOTS more for you!! Love you, Julie

Rob and Carrie said...

That resemblance is quite unbelievable! I thought it was Lydia until I saw the caption!

Karen said...

I have a photo of Caroline wearing that dress! She's riding on her Uncle Keith's shoulders Father's Day weekend (I think) a few years ago. It's on my old laptop, but I'll see if I can find it and email it to you so you can show your girls a picture of Caroline wearing it.

JBC said...

What lovely hair and what incredible likeness!!! How special that you all can share so much and that the kids are so very excited about it!