Monday, August 31, 2009

Julianna and "the middle class"

Today is Julianna's first day of school in "the middle class". After 52 weeks in "small class" she was eager for a promotion and had been talking about this switch for a few weeks!

It's actually a pretty smooth transition. The school doesn't break for the summer and is structured such that she keeps the same classmates and team of teachers. But they did move to a new classroom.

I am super glad that her new classroom is on the first floor. Getting Lydia and Isaac down our stairs, into the stroller, and off to the preschool to get Julianna is a major production. Add to that the complicating factor that Julianna's previous classroom was on the second floor, and I had two children under the age of two in a double stroller in a building with no elevators and.... well, you get the picture: School pick-up days were complex!

Hopefully the new first floor classroom will make it a tad bit easier!


This morning I enjoyed reflecting a bit on how different the whole "local preschool experience" is for us with an entire year under our belts. Last September Julianna was a pretty reticent participant in preschool - she liked it ok, but wasn't very outgoing or eager to meet friends. I think she mainly just listened and absorbed her surroundings.

This fall is different! She calls friends by name, she actively participates, and her teachers seek me out to tell me how very well she is doing! I am so excited for her and proud of the progress she has made.


We celebrated her first "middle class" day with a lunchtime trip to a local dumpling restaurant. What it lacks in atmosphere it makes up for in yummy dumplings!



Starting next week Julianna will be in school three mornings a week - Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. It's going to take me a few weeks to get used to having her away one extra morning. Lydia misses her playmate when Julianna isn't around but I am also eager to see Lydia and Isaac's friendship grow.

It won't be too long before Lydia heads off to her first day of school - she already talks about the day she can join Julianna. Oh, I don't think I'm ready for that yet. They grow up so very fast!

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Julianna, you look like a "middle" student - you're taller and you look happy to be back in school!Wonderful photos - thanks! We love you!

Krisanne said...

That is so encouraging to see how well she is doing there - praise the Lord! I agree, she looks older and taller in those pictures. And yes, Lydia seems way too young to be headed to school, too, so I'm glad it's not time for that yet!

kkvernen said...

I like your school. I like your chairs. I like the pictures you colored for me and Carson and Connor. Thank you!!!

Love,
Kaelynn

Mom with a Mission said...

They do grow-up so fast. Abigail is now in 1st Grade and Nathaniel will go to preschool. Can't wait to see you guys. Are you coming home for Christmas?

Melanie