Saturday, July 25, 2009

slave day

One of my birthday presents was a gift certificate for "slave day" and I redeemed it yesterday! Basically, "slave day" is Matt's version of saying, "I am taking a day off work and I will do whatever you want me to do, for one entire day." He's done this gift once before and it is such a sweet way for him to serve me and our family.

He kept saying things like "whatever you wish" or "at your service" or "your wish is my command" which just made me laugh.

So, what did my slave do for me/us? Here's a partial list: Wiped down the dining room walls. Dusted the baseboards throughout the entire house (I hate getting down on my hands and knees to dust baseboards!) Replaced the light in the stovehood (this is not nearly as simple as it sounds, or as simple as it should be). Arranged for the carpenter to come and repair the drawers in the girls' room so they shut all the way. Used one entire bottle of the local version of Drano and finally managed to unclog the tub drain (note to entrepeneurs: there is a market here for an effective drain unclogger!) Shifted the carpet in the girls' room so the carpet liner isn't peeking out on two sides. De-cobwebbed ceiling corners and light fixtures.

And, the biggie: spent a few hours re-arranging our living room furniture! I was itching for a change, and I think my slave agreed to this rearrange-the-living-room plan in hopes that he would stave off my growing urge to repaint the walls! Erin Ashley came over to help - she is really good at this kind of stuff - and we moved and shifted furniture until we came up with an arrangement that I really really like!

Isn't that a GREAT birthday present?!?!?

5 comments:

Krisanne said...

That is a great birthday present - what a fun idea! Can't wait to see pictures of how you rearranged! Love you!

Mom/Grandmama said...

Like Kirsanne we're looking forward to seeing the photos - did you take any of Matt in his servant stance? (Don't tell Matt, but I've got those paint chips ready to mail with Lydia's birthday package!)

Anonymous said...

I love that present and you sure did use it to your full advantage! Was he just exhausted at the end of the day? Glad you enjoyed. Tell Julianna that I will do a post all about Caroline's hair when we get back from vacation! Love Julie

Paul said...

Matt, much as I like the furniture exactly where it is, I will move it any day rather than paint.

Paul

Jaci said...

That IS a great present!! :-)

And you got your "honey's" worth their! :-)