Friday, July 31, 2009

our little lake getaway, the stories (and more photos too)

We packed a lot of fun into three great days at the lake. Here are a few of our favorite memories....

Our favorite outfit? Swimsuits! (Lydia calls hers a "swim soup".) We basically lived at the shore line, returning to our room only to sleep :) We had a great suite set-up in the hotel so there was plenty of room for everyone, and a terrific balcony too!



Our favorite meal? We packed a picnic lunch and took a short boat ride over to the island. With two adults, three non-swimmers and a small rowboat, the trip did not lend itself to good photo ops! We took this photo of the island from the balcony off our room.



Our favorite quote?

On the drive there Lydia said, "I'm helping mommy learn to be patient." [I've asked her to remind me of this at least once a day, preferably sometime between 5 and 7 pm.]


Our favorite activity? Playing on the 'beach'! We loved to sit in the sand - digging and shoveling and pouring water everywhere.

We took a scenic route home which was really neat - a lot of rural countryside that I rarely get to see. The fields were full of crops, mostly corn and tobacco (kind of like home). There is still very little large machinery, and the fields were tucked into corners and valleys and lowlands. Matt and I enjoyed a nice drive while the kiddos snoozed in the back seat. (Have I mentioned that I just LOVE carseats!)

All in all, it was a great weekend trip. We decided that we will definitely do it again - hey, maybe you'll come visit and join us!

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

What fun and what memories! How nice of Lydia to help you with patience?! Dad and I practiced our patience by referring to that favorite hour of the day as the "hell hour". They all end up being great memories though! Love you and miss you!

Jaci said...

Love, Love Love the pictures! I have been thinking of you often and was praying for you as I ran yesterday Morning! LOVE the flower swimsuit...big surprise I'm sure, but our girls have it too! :-) Love you!!!!

Chris, Leah, Austin, Bennett and Lucy said...

Wow- so encouraging to see a relaxing, fairly (i am sure there was still some) stress-free vacation in this country. I have yet to do it, at least with kids. Glad you had such a good time.

Krisanne said...

So fun! I look forward to beach trip here in Indo with you all - we can't wait! We've started looking into our options and just looking at your beach pictures makes me even more excited!