Tuesday, May 26, 2009

arriving in style

This morning Matt and I went to take our drivers license test (we passed!). Turns out the "vehicle management station" where driving tests are administered is close to our little town. Which expands our list of things-convenient-to-our-town to a whopping 2!!! (The other place? campus! which is super important, and why we live here. Not to mention the fact that I think I might officially be a fan of small community living - I just LOVE so many aspects, I am willing to put up with the not so fun inconveniences.)

Anyways, back to the vehicle management station.... we rode bikes. How's that for classy? Riding a bike to take a drivers license test.

There was exactly one other bike in the bike parking area. Which was still there when we left. And looked like it hadn't been moved in about three weeks. Apparently most people are way too cool to arrive for a drivers license test on two-wheeled transportation.

So, I have now passed perhaps the MOST counter-intuitive test I have ever taken. (We only had to take a written test, not a road test, since we already have drivers licenses from our home country). I can legally drive a car. The jury is still out on whether or not I will ever want to.

I'm mostly grateful I don't need to grab the book and study every free moment of my day. The free moments are pretty precious, and I'm thankful I no longer have to share them with the driving test.

A few of the questions were pretty funny, and I plan to share them here, but that will have to wait for another day....

4 comments:

Paul said...

congratulations -- I knew you would

love Dad

now Matt, time to buy Laura big ole Mini Van !

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!

Julie Redfern said...

good job! Can't wait to hear about the questions. Love Julie

Gina Marie said...

When Erik and I went to take our driver's tests in Singapore, we drove there. :) You can drive legally in Singapore for a year if you have a driver's license from another country. Except we'd already been there one year and one month. And we'd had the car for 6 months. Oops.

We heard you can pay someone in HK to get a driver's license for you. We're thinking of looking into that. :)