Saturday, March 14, 2009

preparing the big sisters

We talk every day about our 'new baby' and Julianna is so excited about welcoming him to the family. (Yes, after lots of practice and constant reminders, she almost always refers to the baby as 'he', but every now and then still calls the baby 'she'!) Mostly, Julianna wants to hold him. Tight. When he cries. And bring him toys.

She recounts this scenario daily. "Don't worry mommy, when the new baby cries I will hold him tight and bring him some toys." She even shows me exactly how she will hold him :) It's fun to watch her anticipate his birth, since last time around, she was pretty much clueless until the day Lydia showed up.

All Julianna's talk about holding the new baby reminds me of this photo ... Lydia must have been about a week old.


Lydia is not nearly as well prepared, of course. A few days ago the girls and I sorted some baby clothes together ... as you can imagine, they were a tremendous amount of help to me - makes me wonder how I did this kind of task without them :) Lydia wanted to try some of the things on herself. She finally did find a hat that she could squeeze onto her head, but was sorely disappointed that most of the stuff was way too small! She might grow up to be a bit of a clothes horse - she also loves to try on Julianna's clothes and would run around wearing a pair of Julianna's panties on top of her own pajamas all day long if I let her :)

In the end, both the girls settled for dressing their baby dolls in some of the new baby's clothes. It still seems crazy that we will soon have a REAL baby to wear those little socks! I hit the 39 week mark today, and we are settling in for the final wait. With no history of early babies, I think it'll be a while -

4 comments:

Paul said...

I remember that picture too. Look at Julianna's hands and expression. She was so intent and careful.

love from the GrandDad

Anonymous said...

What anticipation! Hope Julianna's initial enthusiasm stays strong and that Lydia is too jealous of the new baby's wardrobe! Love you!

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

Hang in there Laura - you never know - this time he may arrive at least on time :) Such a precious picture of Julianna - makes me think of how Hannah might be when the time comes. Lova ya!

Julie Redfern said...

SO cute. Caroline can hardly stand seeing the clothes in the closet that are for next fall and still a size too big. She keeps telling me she is bigger now to wear them since she is almost 5. Caroline had no clue that Will was coming but handled it very well. Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly this week. I know you are ready for the little guy to arrive. Love Julie