Monday, October 10, 2011

in the garden, again

I meant to update yesterday but we were mysteriously without phone and internet for about 24 hours.  Things like that just keep life interesting :)

As further proof that I am feeling close to normal, we're back out in the courtyard, even doing a little work in the garden again.  If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times .... this little courtyard is such a tremendous blessing.  I'm not sure you can totally appreciate it unless you've also lived with many people in small quarters with no outside space, but lemme tell ya - I feel like this sweet little space quadruples the "live-ability" of our current apartment!!  

Today we were sitting outside for afternoon snack, and who should show up but the lawn care man.  He had a captivated audience of one :)


who moved over to the fence line for a closer look!


I love the smell of fresh cut grass.  Isaac loves the noise and energy of a lawn mower.  We were a pretty content pair. 

When he finished his grass mowing we all moved over to do a little gardening.  One of our gourd-like plants had a crazy summer, adding inches and inches to its thousands of vines every single day all while I laid on the couch and barely squeezed through August as a wife and mom. 

By the time I got out there with the clippers last week the vine was clearly large and in charge of the garden.  So I started clipping and ripping and carting loads of green growth off to the trash can.

And it wasn't long before I uncovered our tomato stakes and plants and all sorts of weeds, some errant pieces of sidewalk chalk, plenty of earthworms and even a pool toy.

This afternoon I got out the garden hoe and broke up some more of the soil, which led to more earthworms :)  And inspired the kids to get their gardening-groove on and do a little work alongside mom. 

Julianna loves the clippers -


and the dirt inspires us all to get a little grimy. 



Here's the whole scene, looking in through our courtyard gate. 


Perfect fall days.  Perfect. 

5 comments:

Kayla Rupp said...

Totally jealous of your courtyard. Totally.

So glad you're feeling so much better!

Grandma Jan said...

I love gardening too so so tickled the kids have that experience and space to play in the dirt and watch the planting and growing and harvesting and lawn mowing and fun there is in gardening. Thanks for the post. Love, Jan

Julie Redfern said...

looks like lots of fun!

Krisanne said...

I'm so glad you have that outside space, too! Looks like great fun! Jonah is really getting into gardening with daddy, so I'm sure he would've loved to get down and dirty in that dirt with his cousins! Someday...

Mom/Grandmama said...

I know you love the courtyard and outdoor space - it really does make your apartment so much bigger. A safe and enjoyable place for the children to play without leaving home. A must have for youf next place. Love you!!