Friday, October 28, 2011

fall crisp

In the summer I just could not get enough of summer.  LOVING every minute of the sun and heat and all that good stuff.  Then the pregnancy yuck hit and I, well....... I didn't like anything.  The sick-y feeling  colored the rest of the summer, painting it in a not-so-great shade of yuck.

So maybe that's part of why I'm so grateful, so excited, so delighted with our fall.  This morning was one of those perfect fall mornings that could best be described as 'crisp'.  After two rainy/misty days the fall crisp was even more delightful.... and we were outside in a hurry.

I had a few piles of veggies to buy before I could fill the crock pot for tonight's dinner (4 of Matt's buddies joining us).  Seriously, with years of feeding college guys under my belt, I'm sure not much about my kids' teenage appetites will surprise me - except maybe that I have to prep that much food every night! 

And just because the blue sky beckoned and I grabbed the camera on the way out the door - this is part of my "commute" to buy veggies.



Our walk cuts through a neighboring apartment complex filled with delightful little paths and gardens.

Why go the most direct route when the day is perfectly crisp anyways? 

And in the same spirit of 'why be in a hurry when you can just go slow?' we stopped to ride the toys -


A list of all the things my kids have taught me could fill pages and pages of paper.  One of them is certainly this:  JUST SLOW DOWN.  Life is not meant to be lived in a hurry.

Today I was so glad to be moving slow.

6 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Glad you're all enjoying your lovely fall weather! Our high yesterday was 76; the forecast for today - 53! The leaves have turned and are falling like rain. It's beautiful.

Heather said...

Laura,
Just got a chance to catch up with what's going on with your family. Congratulations on baby #4 and #5!! Your family is growing so fast. Hope you guys are doing well!
Much love from all of us here in Indo,

Grandma Jan said...

So glad you can enjoy life again, without pregnancy nausea, Thank-you Jesus. We are having GRAND weather for ND too. Heading to the pumpkin patch tomorrow with Connor, Carspn and Kaelynn. Oh my, what fond memories I have of last year. Love you all, Jan

Rob and Carrie said...

So glad you are feeling better and can enjoy the fall!!

Anonymous said...

Just shut the lights on the trick or treat evening. A beautiful night of all types of little (some big) faces.
Yes, learning from your kids is the very best way to keep educated.
May your next few days be so packed with precious memories of your Dad's visit. Love BN

Jaci said...

Could your little man be ANY cuter!! I mean really...maybe my Abby would fall for a younger man one day. Oh all these plans we have for our sweet kids!! :)

Glad you are feeling better!!