Saturday, October 1, 2011

busy Isaac

Yesterday morning I was scrubbing the tub (long story, more on that later) and heard Isaac yelling for me from the courtyard.  "Mommy, Mom, I'm stuck."


I saw this from the living room and grabbed my camera on the way out :) 


And by "I'm stuck" he wasn't referring to being stuck on the bike and unable to get down.  No, the front wheel of his BIKE was stuck, and he was creatively trying to figure out a way to solve his problem. 

Get off the bike and push it away from the fence didn't come to mind.  Instead he figured he'd climb up the handlebars and give himself a big heave backwards? 

I'd like to think I arrived on the scene just in time to talk him out of his plan, but in reality he tends to solve his own problems pretty well, so I might be giving myself too much credit. 

Regardless, I decided he might be better off helping me in the bathroom.  I switched to all non-chemical cleaners about six months ago and have not regretted it for one single day.  I think my only regret is I didn't do it earlier.

I tossed all my chemical cleaners - everything - and replaced it with a vinegar/water solution in a squirt bottle and a big tub of baking soda.  One big perk is my kids help with the cleaning - no worries about their safety.  In fact, all three of them have a perhaps unhealthy attachment to the squirt bottle :)  Good thing vinegar comes cheap! 

All that to say, Isaac pulled up a stool and cleaned the sink for about twenty minutes.  The results were a relatively clean sink (I re-scrubbed a bit myself) and one sopping wet shirt. 

I was finished in the bathroom before he was done playing with water, so he moved out to the kitchen sink.  His shirt was so wet we just left it behind! 

 

Seriously, does it get any better than this when you are two years old?  This busy little boy leaves tomorrow to go camping with his Daddy.  Matt camps most every October with a group of students, and when appropriate brings along a kiddo.  This year Isaac's name is on the top of the list :) 

I'm past the 14 week mark and feeling good good good!  My energy level is definitely back up and I haven't taken any anti-nausea meds in 5 days!!!  Earlier this week I was almost sure I was feeling the little baby moving, but not positive.  Then one afternoon I was sitting quietly on the couch and was absolutely sure the jumps and bumps in my tummy were the baby..... and getting stronger every day!  Last night baby must have been on some sort of sugar high from all the oranges I ate because it was moving so much :) 

Yay for a busy little boy who climbs bike handlebars and helps Mommy clean the bathroom.  And double-yay for a pregnancy that is starting to bring joy and a baby that is growing bigger and stronger! 

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Isaac has his dad's problem solving mind - what a self-reliant young man already, at 2! What a great sell for non-chemical cleaners - the kids can help! And so pleased to hear you're feeling better and the baby is moving - such a wonderful feeling!

Grandma Jan said...

Such a delightful tale about Isaac ,the bike and the fence. Love the pictures and sooooo glad you are starting to feel human again. Oh and the baby feelings in your tummy are so wonderful. Love, Jan

Susan said...

Yay! You are 14 weeks in and I have 10 to go (aahhh!) This little guy moves a lot, and is starting to kick my ribs as he gets bigger and stronger! So glad you are feeling better.

Julie Redfern said...

Love it! so glad you are feeling better.