Tuesday, October 25, 2011

crayola.... how i love thee

My kids are crazy about crafts.  Crazy.  I'm not sure where they got this from, because Matt generally avoids the craft table like someone with an allergic reaction to crayons, and I certainly have no crafting talent at all. 

But the kids - especially the girls - are drawn to our craft table like a moth to flame.  And I love watching them create.  And I love Crayola products, because they keep me from having a nervous breakdown once a week.

My love affair with Crayola started years ago when I sat the girls at the kitchen table one Sunday afternoon.  I turned my back for a very brief moment - or maybe left the room for a few long minutes, hard to say :)

I do know this though: the next time I laid eyes on Lydia she had water color painted the entire front of her Sunday dress. 

I congratulated myself on raising a creative daughter and thought "well, we'll put this little "washable" claim to work" and tossed it in the washing machine.  That precious pink sundress came out of the washer sparkling clean.  Fan. For. Life.

So my recent fascination is with Crayola Glitter Glue.  It basically takes a many-step process (run lines of glue over paper, shake on glitter, wait for it to stick, deftly remove un-stuck glitter, spend days picking glitter out from between your toes, etc) and turns it in to a one step process.  The glue, and the glitter, are in one easy-to-use squeeze pen. 



Seriously, I'm thinking the guy who invented Crayola Glitter Glue is probably related to the guy who invited Ziploc bags.  Ingenious. 

I no longer flee from art projects requiring glitter.  I don't even think about art projects involving glitter.  My kids create them.  And all I do is admire - no glitter between the toes, thankyouverymuch.

5 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Your glitter glue craft cards are beautiful, Julianna and Lydia! We'll have to help restock your supplies next trip so we can craft together! Love you and miss you all!

Grandma Jan said...

With Christmas and birthday for Julianna on the horizon, maybe some craft glue can show up in a care package or 2. Love the post Laura. Thanks so much. Love, Jan

JBC said...

Checkout those water color/colored pencils! They're pretty amazing too :)!

Karen said...

Now THAT is something that I can get behind. I hate glitter more than anything but those glitter glue pens are a miracle! Maybe your girls got their love of crafts/art from me and Emily... or else from wherever we got it!

Mom with a Mission said...

Totally agree! Love...love glitter glue. Not too long ago we had to do a school project with glue and a bottle of glitter. Took days to get it all up. We recently found Crayola white board crayons. That's pretty ingenious too. Kids go to town drawing, and I don't have to worry about those toxic, non-washable dry erase markers.