Tuesday, January 21, 2014

the wrong way to play memory

Sunday afternoon Matt and the girls headed down to Fargo - Luke had an early morning appointment with the ped gastroenterologist and the girls went along for the chance to play with their cousins (MLK day = no school on Monday). 

It was a last minute change - for Matt to go instead of me - and I was starting to look forward to a quiet evening.  Just me and two of my boys. 

A quick look at the weather forecast and I knew that Sunday would be our last opportunity to be outside for a few days so we geared up and tromped down to the park to watch some hockey.  The boys were fascinated, and impressed.  Pretty fun stuff for my little guys.



A quick easy supper and then I made my fatal mistake - suggested a movie.  I thought this might be a nice quiet way to end the evening.  Ha.  Isaac will sit and watch but John Paul?  Not so much.  So while I boiled water for a cup of tea John Paul took several pieces of a memory game and stuffed them in the DVD slot of my brand new computer.  Isaac complained that his movie wasn't working and the evening went way down hill. 

I was angry.  I've asked John Paul to not touch my computer about 1000 times.  He knows that it is off limits.  I handled it very poorly.  Very very poorly.

So once the boys were in bed (and it'll be months before I suggest a movie again!) I called Apple and now my computer is off at the nearest service center - for at least a few days.  Thankfully I think the warranty will cover most of the cost.  But it's irritating to be without a computer, and email, and my pictures, and my music, and .....  Thankfully my phone can stand in for some of that stuff. 

I woke up Monday morning still pretty bitter (did I mention the nearest apple service center is 75 miles away?).  Through the whole thing I've been reminded of the many ways my love for my children falls far short of the love God has for us, his children. 

The boys spent the morning organizing our new book stash....


Isaac proudly called for me to come and see how he had fixed up the bookshelf.  Good perspective for me, that this is his definition "fixed up".  There is a definite system behind the piles, it just falls a bit short of my vision of a children's library.  Oh well, the library is FOR the children after all, might as well err on the side of less presentable in adult eyes. 

And then they wanted to wrestle.  Again.  One early morning wrestling match had already ended with an injury or two, so I suggested they do some strength building exercises and get ready for the afternoon match with Matt.


100% hilarious.  Isaac takes the wrestling very very very seriously.  Matt often comments that for a little guy he packs a serious punch.  The little two have more body weight to rely on but Isaac is sheer guts and muscle and heart. 

So Matt rolled back in by mid afternoon and it was a much needed date night and now its a Tuesday morning that feels like a Monday.  That means laundry for me :) 

I might not be around much this week since I only have sporadic computer access.  But we'll see. 

3 comments:

Mom said...

What a challenging day. So sorry to hear about the new computer mishap. We all lose it occasionally - evidence my own behavior. We love you!

Julie Redfern said...

Who doesn't lose it when you've said it 1000's of times?! I know I do. Glad the computer can be fixed. My boys love to tackle and it never turns out well for Eric.

Anonymous said...

There r not many things that are frustrating than a computer breaks down. Susan