Wednesday, May 29, 2013

it can be very convenient

This morning I needed to buy an onion, eggs, yogurt and bananas. 

All are available within a five minute walk of my front door, so after breakfast I loaded up the boys and we were off.  (I didn't even bother with shoes since I wasn't planning to let them loose this trip - just popped them in the stroller and headed out.)



We went to the farthest stop first - yogurt.  I usually buy from this little dairy store (blue sign on the far left of the photo).  I bought 22 servings (give or take) - three different kinds of packaging and sizes.


It's not a very high tech operation.


Then we crossed the street to a little mini-market for onion and eggs.  The big farmers market is about ten minutes (walking) but for small purchases this little place is perfect.


I (almost) emptied the middle section.  With baked goods, plus scrambling and frying and hard-boiling we go through a lot of eggs. 


Four storefronts back towards home and we were at my favorite fruit stand. 


If everyone eats a banana a day, well... it's a lot of bananas :) Sometimes we buy a huge bunch, but the fruit stand is so convenient I prefer to get them in smaller bunches.


On the way home we stopped to visit with some neighbors.


and this little puppy. 


I spent 16 dollars - almost ten dollars on the yogurt (dairy products are pricey compared the rest of our food budget).  Eggs were 3 dollars, so were the bananas.  The onion was essentially free :) 

Round trip 20 minutes. 

There are days that the "inconveniences" of this country make me want to scream in frustration.  And my frustrations are, sometimes, valid.  Just ask Matt about the "conveniences" of the banking system here.  UGH! 

But, no doubt, there are parts of my life that are incredibly convenient.  I got home, put Luke down for a nap and the onion (alongside my bbq chicken) in the crock pot.  When Luke wakes I'll give both boys a banana and we'll head outside to look for more dogs and throw a few rocks in the pond.  A little after 11 we leave to go get the big three (school is a mile away).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you transport the groceries. The back of the stroller seems a bit small for all, including fragile eggs. I so enjoy the "usual" day posts. Thank you for keeping us close! Love you, BN