Thursday, April 18, 2013

cutting hair

Monday evening I cut the girls hair.  Clearly, the best hair cutting spot for us is outdoors in the courtyard, and it's where we do all our kid hair cuts.  One of my favorite neighbors walked by and stopped to let her grandson play while the girls got their trims.  She (half jokingly) said "you can do anything" and I answered, "maybe it's just that I'm brave enough to try".  [Sure, you could argue "dumb enough" to try, I'll agree to that.]

It's true, I don't know much of anything about cutting hair.  I got lucky with the girls.  Julianna's has just enough curl at the ends that any unevenness is obscured.  Plus she wants hers long and longer - an occasional trim is all that's necessary.   

Lydia's, well..... can you mess it up?  This time I got a little braver and added in some layers.  The second side got a bit shorter so I had to go back and shorten the first side (anyone heard this hair cut story before?) but I'm happy to report the end result was an irresistible mop of curls.  




The only picture I have is this one - catching ants and looking at them with our 80 cent magnifying glasses.  We fed ants.  We drowned ants.  We squished ants.  A good afternoon for us, arguably not so good for the ants. 

Back to the hair.  I'll get a better picture of Lydia.  And I do need some tips for Isaac.  John Paul is an easy buzz cut, but I'd like a little more skill and ability to do something different with Isaac.  Might just have to get out there and "get brave". 

Problem is Isaac's hair cut tolerance is not something you'd brag about, so I'll need to be quick about it. Might just buzz it after all.

We're out of town (road trip) this weekend - Matt working, kids and I just 'along for the ride'.  So excited about the folks we're going to see :)  

3 comments:

Paul said...

remember the ants in the jungle in Ecuador? Now those were ants.
love Dad
(great post by the way)

Julie Redfern said...

Love it! I stopped cutting the boys hair because they wanted it like daddy's. And I can't do a low fade very well!

Grandma Jan said...

I loved my haircut in your city. I honestly still long for my hairdresser to cut my hair like the guy who cut my hair in your city. Maybe Isaac will have to go check that' place out. Thx for the post. Grandma Jan