Saturday, September 5, 2009

the quest for the perfect sandwich bread

There is a reason the local population eats rice with every meal.

The commercially available bread tastes terrible.

Ha ha. Of course, that isn't the real reason. But it is a major deterrent for anyone who might consider making the switch from rice to bread.

An entire grocery store aisle devoted just to bread - sandwich loaves, hamburger buns, English muffins, dinner rolls - is unfathomable here.

Instead there are little bakeries, and some of the stuff they sell looks tantalizing. But it isn't. Trust me. I'm pretty sure I have not met a single westerner who likes the bread from those shops.

When we lived in the city I frequently bought sandwich bread from a western-run bakery. I liked it okay. But the baked loaves were either too large or too small, and it was sliced too thick. Plus there was something a little funky about the texture.

After moving out to the suburbs, getting bread from the bakery was more and more difficult. So I started making more of our own bread. Yeast rolls, batter bread, beer bread, cinnamon rolls, oatmeal bread.... I made it all. Just a few weeks ago I finally got a recipe for bread bowls that I really like. I served them filled with spicy chicken chili. It was just like being at Panera. Except I did all the work :)

So a few months ago I decided to work on a good, basic bread that would be perfect for toast and sandwiches. Loaves perfectly sized for our toaster. Just the right texture. Easily sliced thin. And a fairly simple recipe.



And after a few fits and starts, adjustments and alterations, I've landed on a winner!
I made three more loaves yesterday.


It is SO GOOD! And our house smells so wonderful when it is baking. Doesn't it make you want to make up a sandwich and head out for a picnic?

4 comments:

Paul said...

looks great ! and wow - bet it does taste great too.
blessed family in many ways

love from Dad/ GrandDad

Mom/Grandmama said...

Wow, Laura that is a beautiful loaf of bread! And I'm sure it tastes wonderful too. Your Grandmother Doris Oman Crissman would be so proud of you - as am I! Love you, Mom

Krisanne said...

Laura, that does look delicious!!! I'd love your breadbowl recipe (and other bread recipes, for that matter). I made those rolls that you made when we were there for Christmas and I love them. And it's totally the same here - I was talking with someone about it - I think Asians go for bread, cakes, etc. that LOOK really good, but taste, well, kinda terrible. I'd rather have it taste good, but I think you've got both mastered! I've been making all our bread here, too, but have not expanded to all the different things you have. I'm inspired!!! :)

Julie Redfern said...

I am so totally impressed that you make homemade bread with 3 small kids!! You inspire me that I can do more since I have 1 less kid than you!! Love you and enjoy that great looking bread! Love JUlie