Wednesday, September 23, 2009

the chaos factor: up one notch

A week has passed since I started feeding Isaac some solid foods. And I must admit, Isaac at the table has definitely increased the chaos factor a bit. I feel a little bit like an over-worked waitress with three very demanding customers.

Julianna's demands are on the verbal spectrum. She talks the entire meal, and expects me to listen and respond to every single comment or question or thought she generates. It's a tall order, and one that I can not live up to.

Lydia needs constant visual surveillance. "Put your plate on the table." "Use your fork, not your fingers." "No sharing food with your sister." "Can I help you cut your chicken?" Repeat. For the entire meal.

Isaac, well his demands are physical. Scoop up some food. Spoon into mouth. Gather up the excess that somehow missed his mouth. Re-feed the salvaged food. Scoop up some more food. Spoon it into his mouth. Gather up the stuff that is dripping off his chin. Re-feed the chin drippage. And over and over again.

By the end of the meal my brain (Julianna), my eyes (Lydia) and my hands (Isaac) are exhausted.

Isaac is doing great though, and it's fun to see him enjoy a whole new world of food. I think this must be such a fascinating time in the life of an infant. For the first 6 months of his life he ate one food. In the past week he's added rice cereal, apples, pumpkin, eggplant, pears and potato. He's taste buds must be exploding :)

So I think it's worth the chaos to watch him enjoy his new world of foods. I'm trying to convince myself that it is.

4 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Wow, what chaos! I remember feeling the same way with only two of you jabbering away. Early childhood meals are chaotic and you'll not enjoy a quiet, easy meal for years to come. Well, that's discouraging. But the time will pass and you will miss it all too soon! Love you and miss you, Mom.

Paul said...

and I bet the floor is a sight too.
have fun - you articulate the wonder and chaos of the time so well
love Dad and a proud GrandDad

Anonymous said...

I can totally imagine what life around your table is like now! Will and Caroline both jabber away and I am always telling Will not use his fork and not talk with his mouth full! I don't know if I would get a meal in if I had 3 to get fed! You Go Girl!!! Love jUlie

kkvernen said...

I totally understand. I wish I didn't still have to make those comments to my 6-year-olds. It seems like I will never be able to enjoy a meal without saying, "Please don't chew with your mouth open", 20 times. Someday it will pay off!!