Monday, September 7, 2009

complexify

I know that new words get added to the English language all the time. After more than a few years here, I'm pretty sure I've got a new word I'd like to add. COMPLEXIFY. As in "the opposite of simplify".

I just looked up "simplify" and this is what I found in an online dictionary -
"To make simple or simpler, as:
a.
To reduce in complexity or extent.
b. To make easier to understand."

So, my definition of COMPLEXIFY would be -
"To make complex, as:
a. To increase in complexity or extent.
b. To make more difficult to understand."

Maybe I'm experiencing a bit of cultural stress,but it seems to me that this particular country is perfecting the art of complexification.

Sure, some things here are much simpler than in the States. Purchasing airplane tickets for example. You can buy tickets at the airport for same day of travel. Changing to a different flight or a different day or even a different destination is MUCH easier than in the States.

But I think I've gotten used to all those things and take them for granted now :) Which makes the complexification thing even more frustrating.

A few recent examples -

There are three gates into the neighborhood outdoor market (where we buy all our fruit, veggies, meat, etc.) For some unknown reason the powers-that-be have closed and locked one of the gates with a cheap chain and padlock. Guess which gate they locked? You got it, the one closest to me. I cannot think of one single reason why you would need to lock a perfectly good entrance into a very busy and crowded market. Well, I can think of one reason: practicing the art of complexification.

Example two: This past week one of the things on my ambitious "freezer week to do list" was to buy a few things online. Sounds simple enough. But factor in the art of complexification and you'd be surprised how difficult it can be!

The local version of ebay is a great site. The best thing is a 'live chat with the seller' option that means you really know exactly what you are getting, can bargain on price, and get accurate quotes for shipping based on your location. In the past I have very successfully used a prepaid credit option - go to the local post office, buy some prepaid credit, add it to your online account and shop away. Not this time. It took 5 trips to the post office before I managed to buy any prepaid money. Just thinking about writing all the details of the 4 failed trips makes me frustrated, so I'll skip the story. But trust me, the local post office really knows how to COMPLEXIFY!

Want another example? Last night I went shopping at a big supermarket type store- kind of like Target, but unfortunately not really like Target. I filled my cart and headed to the parking lot. Except, oops.... that's right, no carts allowed in the parking lot. Seems the store managers were keen to see some real complexification in action, so they restricted shopping carts to the sidewalk directly in front of the entrance. And they restricted car traffic from getting anywhere near the entrance. Which works great if you buy three things and can carry them in your pockets. It works not so great if your cart is so full you can barely push it and you need to get all your goods into the trunk of a car so you can go home.

If you doubt this complexification theory, you could test it out by accompanying Matt as he pays our bills. I assure you that you cannot fathom the number of banks and lines and paper slips and rubber stamps and "come back tomorrows" involved in bill paying. One thing is for sure, the guy who came up with the bill paying system had a graduate level degree is complexification.

So, in the interest of (trying to) maintain a good attitude about all the complexity, I will stop here. And maybe I'll spend the day thinking of all the things that really are simple here. If I'm successful, I'll put them in tomorrow's post. Don't hold your breath :)


4 comments:

Jaci said...

The challenges of complexity!!!! I have been having some of my own lately, but more in the realm of can I really fit 7 people in this tiny apartment???? I am "nesting" like crazy...but can't seem to stop stepping on someone or something in the process! Hang in there Laura...I will be praying for these challenges that can totally wear you down!

Krisanne said...

Sounds all too familiar... And frustrating! I totally understand.

Jenny said...

I laughed so hard when I read about 'complexify'! I too have done the taobao post office multi-trip process! Your kids are so precious...I love looking at your blog! hope to see you guys sometime next year!

Mom said...

Wow, your frustration came through loud and clear. Think you'll ever figure out why a culture would choose to complexify? Good luck with the ebay shopping! Love you, Mom