Tuesday, May 24, 2011

so today....

is my birthday :)

Woke up this morning to a pile of gifts from the kids.  A few years ago the girls scored big when they gave me a diet coke.  This year I got a few packs of candy (including one from Isaac that he immediately un-gifted  and confiscated as soon as I unwrapped it). 

I also got a pair of sparkly red flower shaped stud earrings from Julianna.  If you can imagine what your average ten year old girl might choose for her first set of earrings, you've got a pretty clear idea of what they looked like.  (look closely in the pic below)

The blurry shapes around the edges of the photo are my kids helping me open gifts. 

For dinner we went on a picnic.  I LOVE picnics, and our hot weather disappeared late last week (rain) so for a bit I thought we might have to cancel, but the sun started shining and we ate outside.  So fun.


Last night we celebrated with a big ole bunch of local friends grilling Chinese style in our courtyard.  Basically spicy kabobs with all kinds of meat and veggies.  Yum. 

I cannot believe another year has passed.  But then I think about all that has happened in the last year and it makes my heart and mind spin.  Oh that I would rest in Jesus this year... in a way that mirrors what I will fully experience in eternity. 

6 comments:

Grandma Jan said...

Happy Birthday Laura. Love you so much. Jan

Krisanne said...

Glad you could do some celebrating! I love picnics, too! Love you and happy birthday!

Jaci said...

Happy happy birthday dear friend! I echo your desire to rest in Jesus. Truly rest even as the storms of life rage around me. Love you and I LOVE your earrings :-)!

Jeremy and Anita said...

Happy birthday, friend! Glad you got to go on a picnic. Miss you lots. Thinking about you and your little family. Love, Anita

Anonymous said...

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, dear Laura!
Yes, presents that children give and some that return just as quickly are so very precious. Giving at that young age is so much more about value of presentation then the value of the present. :) Love BN
PS. The earrings are stunning, I trust you had a bit of dessert on your picnic. :)

Rob and Carrie said...

Happy Belated Birthday! It looks like it was a wonderful day. Those pictures are so cute!