Thursday, February 25, 2010

scenes from Indonesia

While the best thing about our time in Indonesia was DEFINITELY seeing Krisanne and Paul, we also really enjoyed experiencing a new culture and visiting a new place.

Matt and I have been in the "Asian world". And we've spent a bit of time in the "Muslim world". Indonesia is a mix of the two.

The call to prayer is broadcast on loudspeakers throughout the day. First one is at about 4:30 am. And yes, it is loud enough to wake you up! The first night I think I was awake for the entire thing. I didn't look at the clock, but I guess it lasts about ten or fifteen minutes? It seemed long. After all, it was 4:30 in the morning.

But after a few nights, I got used to it. Most mornings I would wake up and realize I had slept through it. Or wake up only long enough to think "that's the call to prayer" and then fall back asleep.


Another thing that really struck me? Indonesia is FULL OF MOTORBIKES! Oh my goodness, they are everywhere! It's really a great way to get around - gas is cheap, traffic is bad, and some 'roads' are too narrow for a car to navigate.



The town Krisanne and Paul live in is in the mountains, and some of the scenes are just beautiful! The view from their dining room windows is incredible. It seems that one of us jumped up from our meal to take a picture almost every night during dinner :)

This is what you see from their windows.....



Right behind their house is the beginning of a really steep incline... houses are built right on the side of the mountain. One afternoon we walked down into the neighborhood below theirs and saw the river rushing through the valley bottom and rice paddies on the banks.

Climbing back up the hill I was on my tiptoes, pushing Isaac in the stroller, using every bit of strength in my calf muscles. I looked kind of like this man. Except I am a woman. And I have white skin. And I was pushing a stroller, not carrying baskets on my shoulders. I guess I didn't look much like this after all, but you get the point.... the hills are steep!

I also loved the laundry flapping in the breeze. The ladies must get up early to do the wash, because it was always on the clothes lines by breakfast. The sun is nice and bright, so it dried fast, often before the mid-afternoon rain started.



I learned a little Indonesian too. So if you ever need anyone to translate 'gecko', 'thank you', or 'be careful' into Indonesian, just let me know. For all other Indonesian translation needs, I would definitely direct you to Paul and Krisanne. Not that I am in any position to decide who speaks good Indonesian, but it seems to me that theirs is really good!

I actually enjoyed not understanding a lot of what was happening around me, especially when I knew people were talking about me or my kids. After years of living in a culture hearing (and understanding) other people talk about me, I was grateful to just smile in ignorance.

5 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

Wonderful photo and word documentary of your trip to Bandung. Seeing other cultures, especially while visiting someone who lives there, not just traveling through, is fascinating. Makes me want to buy an airplane ticket but alas work awaits instead. We love you - glad you are home safe!

Julie Redfern said...

what neat pictures. Really looks like you guys had a great time. I checked out Krisanne's blog too and her pictures were great as well! I love visiting family!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to include "us blog readers" in your daily lives. You're really not so far from our hearts if I can see what you're seeing, hear what you're doing.
We love you so very much! Aunt BN

Lacey Beth said...

GREAT pictures!!! Thanks for sharing them....and your experiences. What an adventure!

I look forward to seeing you sooooooon!!!

Tripp said...

Glad you guys enjoyed your time in Indonesia! Next time maybe you can make it to Borneo (and maybe we will be there next time)...tell Matt I'll take him flying!