Monday, February 8, 2010

101 reasons to love the tailor shop

In the past four days I have visited two different local tailors for a few last minute travel goodies.

After seeing a friend's super cute Kindle cover, I decided to get one made for myself. You know, so while Matt watches the kids play at the beach I can kick back with a few good books. Didn't want my Kindle getting sandy :)

So I walked into this shop and explained what I wanted.


She let me pick through her scraps basket and choose the silk I wanted. There was a large scrap of jacket-lining material to add some padding to the silk cover. She charged me 70 cents. Perfect.

The next day I realized I didn't have three good beach cover-ups for the kids, so I headed out again. This time to the local "supermarket" where I picked up some 4 dollar light weight bath towels. Then I walked down the block to a different tailor, where I explained that I wanted them folded in half, a hole cut for the head, and the sides stitched up leaving room for arm holes. Total cost for his workmanship: 2 dollars.

They turned out great. The girls wore them around the house one morning, and now they are packed deep in the duffel bags, waiting for the beach.

I think sewing is a great talent. And I'm glad that our neighborhood tailors make up for my ignorance in this area. If we ever leave Asia I'll have to figure out how to do all this myself!

We're off to the airport in just a few hours! Next update from INDONESIA!

2 comments:

Mom/Grandmama said...

What fun getting those items made for a song! I had debated about a Kindle cover so you've solved that problem beautifully and cheaper! Can't wait to see the beach photos! We love you - have a good trip.

Julie Redfern said...

I need a tailor that is that cheap here!! Have fun!! Love Julie