Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pelabutan Rata

We are here! Right now we're in the midst of a week long stay at the beach in West Java. (Side note: West Java is known for great surfing waves, beautiful beaches, sunny skies, and the world's slowest internet connection. Photos will have to wait til we get back to the big city.)
The kids are loving all the time with their Aunt Krisanne and Uncle Paul. Julianna and Lydia were holding hands with Krisanne as we walked out of the Jakarta airport! Each morning they wake up asking for their aunt and uncle. It's really fun :)
The place we are staying is pretty incredible. It reminds me of the Wheel House. But it's in Indonesia. And it comes with a full-time house helper. The helper is a man, which is a bit weird to me, but his main responsibility is meal preparation and clean up, and he cooks everything on the grill, and grilling is apparently a typical "man's job" here, so that's how a man ends up in this typical female role. Anyways, we eat grilled everything! Chicken, lobster, fish, shrimp. It is so yummy. Having a cook who does all the dishes is definitely the "cherry on top" of a pretty perfect vacation.

We are here for a few more days before heading back to Bandung, the city where Krisanne and Paul live. The road between here and Bandung is crazy. I thought I had seen a lot of bad roads in Asia. Now I've seen another one :) Matt accurately described it as "not quite wide enough for two lanes of traffic, yet somehow handling three".

Anyways, I can't wait to get some photos loaded of our time here. The mountains run right up to the coast line, and there are rugged rocks jutting out into the ocean in some places. Julianna especially loves the beach. She and Paul have been catching little sand crabs. And yesterday Matt and Julianna found a coconut which we managed to crack open and eat.

It's getting late and I'm heading back to the bungalow. Goodnight from Pelabutan Rata!







2 comments:

Paul said...

the wheel house with a cook & cleaner - that is not me (not that I have done a lot of cooking- but I have done my share of dishes) --- and getting to play with the grandchildren--that sounds like a wonderful place.

love GrandDad

Mom/Grandmama said...

Of course, I immediately checked out Pelabuhan Rata on google earth - I could see the mountains, the houses and the road parallel to the beach. Really nice! Have fun - we love you all bunches!