Sunday, May 11, 2014

the fan van (a race in Fargo)

We're halfway through a super fun (and busy) weekend here!  We spent last night in Fargo hanging out with family and then this morning I ran a 10k.  My first plan was to run the half marathon (I did one full marathon 11 years ago - ran it together with Matt! - and I still dream of doing another but the time it takes to train.... oh my).

Still, I was dreaming of the half marathon but seriously...... I hadn't run much since starting a family (that's over 8 years with essentially zero mileage).  I quickly realized the half might be a stretch (limited time to train + no solid mileage base = issues) and I set my sights on the 10k.

I still didn't do a lot of training - usually just three runs a week, eventually getting up to about 4 miles each run.  I did run 5 miles a few times, but I was counting on guts and adrenaline to get me through the last mile and over the finish line.


Matt outdid himself piloting the "fan van" - it was a great out and back course and I saw the family twice!  Matt had Luke on his back and JP in the stroller to cover ground quickly!


I ran faster than my goal and placed 18 out of 370 in my age group, so I was very pleased :)  It was sweet to run a race again, I had forgotten how much I loved it.  If we lived in America I might have to add a 'race entry fee' line to the budget.  But alas.... it's not much of an expense temptation in the big country.


Matt deserves a medal too - almost every time I went to the gym he was with the kids.  So thankful for his encouragement!  He was definitely my #1 fan.

And I've set my sights on running a half marathon next time we are in the States.  It was so energizing to run with the longer distance runners (the Fargo starting line is super cool - on the bridge leaving Minnesota running into ND and all three races start on the same bridge at the same time!)



More on the rest of the weekend's activities when I get the photos!  The girl cousins painted pottery. Fishing opener for the older boy cousins and Matt, Andy, Grandpa.  And a race for me :)

5 comments:

Mom said...

18 out of 370 - you ranked in the top 5% - wow! So proud of you! Took a lot of dedication to find time to train. Thanks to Matt for being your #1!

Jaci said...

Way to go! So fun! Maybe next time you are in the states we could do one together! :-)

Paul said...

as we say "Go Far Fast"
and you did
love Dad

Anonymous said...

bravo! admire your sports spirit. I should get more of it. Glad you did this. Susan

Erika said...

I didn't know you liked to race. I do too. I've only done a 5K this year...it's been a bit full. But I can't wait to run another half. Have you considered the one in the capital of the big country? I did it in 2010 and it was quite an experience.