Thursday, November 7, 2013

roommates (it's their anniversary)

I started this silly little holiday in 2008 and it's just enough fun that we can't give it up. 

Roommate Anniversary (November 3rd) is the day we celebrate all the good fun that comes with having a roommate! [And we do it November 3rd because that's the day - in 2007 - that 3 month old Lydia moved in with her big sis, and they've been together ever since!]


It's not a huge put-together deal, but a simple celebration (simple is definitely our style) with plenty of love and fun.  The kids love to get their picture taken on their bed.


We have all the pictures in a book and they think it's great fun to look through it and see themselves growing up. 


[I'm still not sure what to do about this bed.... I mean, I love love love the bed.  But I had the walls painted yellow before I knew the bed would even exist, or that it would be this light wood color.  And now I don't like how it all blends together.  Matt is not gonna be a big fan of repainting the walls :) and I do like the yellow, so bright and cheery.  But painting the bed seems like a huge chore, and I'm afraid it would need many coats and start to look dingy quickly.  There are already footprint marks on the ladder and while on wood it looks worn and like 'character' on a painted bed I think it would look dirty.  Any ideas?  Maybe I'm talking myself into repainting the walls.  Shhhh, don't tell Matt!]

Back to Roommate Anniversary....

The holiday has morphed to include the boys' room too - many of the earlier Roommate Anniversary celebrations saw Isaac sleeping in the girls' room, but now that he has plenty of brothers we are solidly a boys room - girls room family. 




I'm not entirely sure John Paul understood what all the fuss was about but this boy knows how to have fun regardless! 



And here's the boy room...... No bed for Luke in here yet - he's across the hall, tucked in a corner of the guest room.  Luke is the one who is almost always up before 7am, and we like to dream that they all sleep til 7 (!) so we keep him where he won't wake up anybody else. 


The plan is for Matt to build a triple bunk for this room in a year or so.  It's a nice big (long) bedroom and I love all the floor space.  (I stood near the doorway for this picture - the boys' dresser and toy shelves are closer to the door and out of view.)

happy roommate anniversary to all four of you!  May your relationships be filled with joy and fun and laughter and plenty of character-building opportunities too!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Love that you continue to celebrate this special day. Also loved seeing Lydia holding your "honey". Love to you all - just 11 days!

Julie said...

Such a fun thing to celebrate! You could still leave the walls yellow (I agree, it's a cheerful color!) and just add some colorful wall stickers. Big flowers or polka dots would be cute.