Thursday, October 17, 2013

19 months of the little bad egg

Luke is 19 months old tomorrow.

It's not a typical age marker, but in our family it tends to be significant.

Julianna was 19 months old when she met baby sister Lydia.

Lydia was 19 months old when she met baby brother Isaac.

John Paul was 19 months old when he met me.  And Matt.  And Julianna, Lydia, Isaac and Luke.

And now Luke is hitting the big 19 month mark :)  Sometimes I look at him and cannot believe that when Julianna and Lydia were his age I was bringing home another baby! But oh how I loved all those little little people in my home!  Now it's crazy that he's my littlest -



His first 19 months have not been smooth.  If I had known at his birth how hard they would be, well .... it's a good thing I didn't know then!  His struggle with reflux is definitely better.  He has made SO MUCH progress since we started the meds (10 months ago).  But, he is still on medicine.  And I still see signs that he struggles with reflux.  [We'll be checking in with a pediatrician as soon as we get to the U.S.]

He sleeps better than he used to, but good consistent rest is still hard to come by.  On the afternoons where he doesn't get decent sleep he is a bear.  Not a warm fuzzy cuddly bear.  A cranky, needy, grumpy, wants-to-be-held-by-mommy bear.

God is so faithful.  He provides exactly what I need for each day.  I am grateful.  But, honestly, I'm also tired of this particular journey.

Luke has more good days than hard.  He is a precious little guy and I love watching his personality emerge.  He loves loves loves his big siblings.  Every last one of them.  It's pretty incredible to watch them all interact, and brings me much joy.

I love the way he races down the hall to my arms.  I love the way he hollers 'mama mama mama' from his car seat.  (He calls my name once every 5 seconds for pretty much the entire drive.  It's awesome.)  I love the way he holds a jump rope and does these short jerky squat-like moves in an attempt to imitate his big sisters (who are obsessed with jumping rope!)  I love the way he starts asking for 'more more' every time I come to the end of a song.  He would listen to me sing for hours!

I love this age in general, when the vocabulary starts piling up and you realize just how very much they know about the world around them.  (Though Luke is far far from being my most verbal baby - he talks constantly....but it's not very clear.)



My helper calls Luke a 小坏蛋.  The literal translation means "little bad egg".  It's a very affectionate term and insinuates he's being mischievous or getting into something he shouldn't be.  His newest move is standing on the kitchen table.  This is certain to earn a "little bad egg" comment from ayi :)

Believe me when I say ayi uses this term with the utmost affection, a voice full of joy and laughter.  She is head over heels in love with Luke and he knows it.  

We all love to hear her say 小坏蛋!  And the kids laugh right along with ayi at their little bad egg of a baby brother.  19 months old tomorrow.

[And we are headed out of town, joining Matt for the front end of a trip.  The kids and I will be home Sunday night.  We'll be traveling by train, and with no Matt for the return leg I am aiming to pack very very light!  So I best get back to my piles of packing.  'Light' takes on new meaning with five little ones in tow!]

2 comments:

Grandmama said...

"Little bad egg" is a cutie - look at that smile! Love you all!

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to see more of his personality showing up when he comes back from the US. The youngest one is usually a fun character. James is the youngest in his family too. Susan